Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage

Hi All

I was going through the documentation of CUMA and i am confused. Now you need 1 Roxy server as well as 1 Enterprise server. The Proxy server must be in the DMZ, my question is which Firewall can we use ? an ASA can be used? If yes, Do u require a seperate MCS as a Proxy server ? Then what is the Role of the ASA and the Proxy server.

Thanks a lot for Helping me out

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage

Hi Abdul,

As correctly pointed by Gaston, following are the components for Mobility Advantage Solution -

Cisco Mobile Communicator (the client)

ASA TLS Proxy

Mobility Advantage Server

The Mobility Advantage Server which is installed on MCS server serves as - Managed Server, Admin Server, Node Manager Server & Mobility Advantage Databse storage. Basically thats the heart of the Mobility Advantage solution coordinating and managing most of the part.

Since Mobile Communicator sits on the Mobile Handsets and access the network through outside the Access is provided via ASA TLS Proxy Server. Earlier this functionality was available through Cisco Mobility Advantage Proxy server installed on MCS. With release 7.x this feature has been moved to the ASA. The architecture still remains same.

So what's the role of ASA proxy server -

The Mobile Communicator (client) initiates an SSL connection to the ASA TLS Proxy. Once the SSL connection is established, the ASA passes the request to the Unified Mobility Advantage

Server, which then authenticates the user against the LDAP directory.

So the Proxy server acts as a middleman (not sure if I should use this term), proxying (is there any such word in Dictionary?) between the client and Mobility Advantage Server.

You can refer to Chapter 24 Cisco Mobility Applications in SRND for CallManager 7.x for detailed information on the same.

-> Sushil

2 REPLIES
Community Member

Hi, I will partially answer your question...

First, in current versions, you need an MCS to run mobility advantage server. In previous versions (3x) you need also a 7845 to run as a proxy. In current versions, this function was replaced with a TLS proxy license in the ASA.

I will check some documentation and will replay again to your question.

hth.

Hi Abdul,

As correctly pointed by Gaston, following are the components for Mobility Advantage Solution -

Cisco Mobile Communicator (the client)

ASA TLS Proxy

Mobility Advantage Server

The Mobility Advantage Server which is installed on MCS server serves as - Managed Server, Admin Server, Node Manager Server & Mobility Advantage Databse storage. Basically thats the heart of the Mobility Advantage solution coordinating and managing most of the part.

Since Mobile Communicator sits on the Mobile Handsets and access the network through outside the Access is provided via ASA TLS Proxy Server. Earlier this functionality was available through Cisco Mobility Advantage Proxy server installed on MCS. With release 7.x this feature has been moved to the ASA. The architecture still remains same.

So what's the role of ASA proxy server -

The Mobile Communicator (client) initiates an SSL connection to the ASA TLS Proxy. Once the SSL connection is established, the ASA passes the request to the Unified Mobility Advantage

Server, which then authenticates the user against the LDAP directory.

So the Proxy server acts as a middleman (not sure if I should use this term), proxying (is there any such word in Dictionary?) between the client and Mobility Advantage Server.

You can refer to Chapter 24 Cisco Mobility Applications in SRND for CallManager 7.x for detailed information on the same.

-> Sushil

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content