Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 4.2: Removal of members from Public Distribution Lists

csawest.dc
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I am using CU 4.2 in a Unified Messaging environment. All new subscribers that were created were also added to the Unaddressed Messages and System Event Messages PDLs.

I would like to remove them from the PDLs. So I go Public Distribution Lists > Members. All the options under Members - View, Add and Remove are dimmed and not usable.

Guys, pls let me know if there is any option that I am missing out.

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

This might be an easier way to clean up:

From Unity server go to Start - Programs - Microsoft Exchange - Active Directory Users and Computers console. Select the domain and on the right-side select Find Objects in Active Directory. Search for one of the PDLs. Edit it and select the Members tab. From there, you can remove the users. From within the window, you can click the shift key to select multiple users to remove. Keep at least the EAdmin account and any of your Unity admins that monitor these messages.

Ginger

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to what Ginger mentioned, chances are when Permissions Wizard was ran, "Allow Unity to Administer Active Directory" was not selected, which is probably why your permissions are restricted.

Brad

Hi Ginger and Brad,

I followed your steps and was able to remove the subscribers from the PDLs. Thank you for your help.

Brad, you are right the option "Allow Unity to administer...." was not selected while running PW. I will contact my AD team and get this done. I have a couple more issues, which might be related to the same. I am a newbie to the AD/Exchange world. Pls suggest.

1) If I try to add or make any changes to a subscriber, I get the E_ACCESSDENIED error message.

2) For few accounts, if I try to import them from "Existing Exchange User" option and Find using the Alias, it does not show on Unity; however it shows in AD. I might have definitely missed something while running PW. I am rather used to administering Unity in a VM scenario and fail to understand the details while interacting with AD and Exchange in a Unified Messaging environment. Pls shed some light. Thanks again.

For both 1 and 2) Sounds like it's tied into the permissions issue. Make sure the users are set to inherit from their parent OU on the security tab out in AD. Also, ensure that when PW is ran, it covers all of the OU's that users exist in.

Another option for 2) is that they may have been imported already into Unity at one point in time and they still hold the Unity properties out in AD.

You may want to try to clean the user with the Remove Subscriber Properties Tool if you haven't already:

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/voice/showcase?case=K14966648

Brad

Thanks for your prompt response, Brad.

I will try these options suggested by you. I am looking at a AD structure of an ISP here. I will sit with the AD team tomorrow and work on these steps. Thanks a ton for your help. Will update with the results.

Hi Brad,

The BunnyKiller worked for me in removing the inaccessible accounts and readding back to Unity.

For E_ACCESSDENIED error, I reran the Permissions Wizard which seemed to complete correctly. However, due to restrictions from the AD team, I could not check "Allow Unity to administer Active Directory" option.

I then check for inherent permissions for the user objects in AD which showed okay.

The catch was that the AvDSAD and AvDSGlobalCatalog services were running under the Unity Administration account rather than the Directory Services account. This fixed the problem. Thanks for you help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: