Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Unity 5.0(1) & exchange 2007

Folks

Do you have documentation and/or any recommendation on how to migrate cisco unity from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco Unity 5.0(1) & exchange 2007

cris_jimenez -

I just wanted to post here for anyone else looking for an answer....

You just solved our problem with a VM only 4.04 migration to a failover 5.0(1) with exchange 2007.

As soon as we performed the DiRT restore, unity would lose the message store "message server is offline". We tried everything, MSCW, new reinstall, you name it.

The only thing that worked was deleting the MAPI profile from your instructions, and later found in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800949dc.shtml#topic2-3

So thanks, and hopefully this will help someone else out in the future...

24 REPLIES

VM only or Unified?

Both

Does not make sense. You can only have VM only setup or UM setup.

For UM setup, you will need to upgrade Unity 4.x to 5.x FIRST. Then Migrate the AD users to Exchange 2007. Then re-run permissions and mailbox wizards for 2007.

Same for VM only, but for VM only, you will need a separate server. Exchange 2007 can not be install on a Unity server. Must be on a separate server.

For VM only

Install new Unity 5.x server and Exchange 2007

On old Unity server, upgrade to Unity 5.x

DIRT export

DIRT import to the new setup.

Reconnect your CUCMs, etc.

Make sense?

That makes totally sense, we have Unity 5.0(1) already, and we are running exchange off box. we only need to migrate from exchange 2003 to 2007 and basically what i need to do i migrate the AD users to Exchange 2007 and then re-run permission wizard and the message store configuration wizard with the options for Exxchange 2007.

for VM only we just need to create a new integration on the UTIM, riht ?

I guess Im a little fuzzy on your setup.

VM-Only setup with Unity is in it's own domain. So let's say you have Windows 2003 and Unity 4.2 running with Exchange on box. (single box setup) You want to upgrade to Exchange 2007 for the VM Only domain. You will need to do the following:

- Install new Exchange 2007 server in VM-only domain

- Upgrade Unity to 5.x

- Migrate users from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

- Re-run Unity permissions and mailbox wizards.

So..for 5.x UM when going from Exch2003 to 2007, all you need to do is run permissions wizard and MsgStore config wizard to point to the new 2007 server? (And move the users, of course).

Any considerations for failover?

what I did for failover, I removed the failover configuration upgraded and then re-integrated again

ah and also, I had to recreate the MAPI

otherwise when you try to retrieve VM you will get a recording stating that the VM server is down

The UM is already 5.x, so no upgrade will be needed...and I'm OK with that.

:)

so whenever you change the partner exchange to 2007, just run the permission wizard and the message store configuration wizard and recreate the MAPI

Thanks Cris for all your fast replies!

...I will be working from that document, but was wondering if there are any "real world" gotchas out there.

not really.

the only issue that I faced was to recreate the MAPI that is not mentioned on the document.

when you recreate the MAPI you need to logint with the MessageStoreSvc account and you need have a VNC connedtion not an RDP to the unity box

Silver

Chris can I ask what do you mean by recreate the MAPI? What steps? I never had to do this. Running MSCW creates the MAPI.

If Unity is already installed and you are rerunning MSCW for whatever reason. (partering) it should be run from control panel > add remove programs. It will run again not remove.

rlp

Yeah..I've the MSCW thing before..it is truly bizarre how they wrote that. But it does stop you from running it by accident!

I was going to ask the same thing about MAPI. Never had to do that.

Silver

Of course there are and that is why we should test it in the lab first.

:-) everyones experience is going to be different cause the site and configs are different too.

rlp

good luck, fortunately you have a lab environment

I don't have one, so I did it on production servers and troubleshoot to solve the issues.

Silver

Ben there and done that too. I used to work for TAC too so I was helping on the troubleshooting. :-)

Don't take it the wrong way please.

Randy

Log on to the Cisco Unity server with the help of an account which has Local Administrator privileges. This is required to allow changes to the registry.

Go to the Start menu and choose Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Look for the AvCsMgr service and note what the "Log On As" value is set to for this service. Specifically, note if it is the Local system or a domain account.

Check which domain account AvCsMgr is active as, and then log off from the current windows session and log back on as the same account in which the AvCsMgr isactive, and continue with Step 4 here. If AvCsMgr is active as the local system account, go back to the start of this document to make sure that have assigned the correct Cisco Unity service accounts to the Cisco Unity services.

Go to the Start menu and choose Run.

Type regedit.exe and click OK.

If AvCsMgr was running as a domain account, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

If AvCsMgr was running as the local system account, go to:

HKEY_USERS\Default \Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Note: Both places should be checked, as this account may be changed in the history of your system from Local to Domain.

Right-click the Unity System Profile entry and choose Delete.

Restart the Cisco Unity server.

One of the issues I found out with version 5 is that even though something is wrong in Unity, the application will start. and its a little bit more complicated to find the problem. with the previous version if something was wrong Unity won't start and you could have an idea of where the problem is, this won't happen with unity 5.0 if there is something wrong, unity will be running anyways

Silver

Yea I have seen these instructions before when I worked at TAC. The thing is this should not have to be done now most of the time.

Have you tried Control Panel > MSCW?

rlp Please rate.

Yes.

it will do the same thing

cris_jimenez -

I just wanted to post here for anyone else looking for an answer....

You just solved our problem with a VM only 4.04 migration to a failover 5.0(1) with exchange 2007.

As soon as we performed the DiRT restore, unity would lose the message store "message server is offline". We tried everything, MSCW, new reinstall, you name it.

The only thing that worked was deleting the MAPI profile from your instructions, and later found in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800949dc.shtml#topic2-3

So thanks, and hopefully this will help someone else out in the future...

nice tip! 5 points for you. Im working on a 4.04 upgrade this week. I have decided not to use DIRT from 4.04 to 5.x. Im going to use a "swing" server and install 4.04, DIRT backup, DIRT restore, then upgrade it to 4.2.1. I will then use Cobras to move everything over. I will have my fresh 5.01 server running in Production, my old 4.04 server running while do all my work on the "swing" server. And my swing server is actually a VM server. It's only really used for DIRT export/import and Cobras.. so I dont need it to go CUCM or take calls, etc.

Cheers!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content