Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 7: how to setup the Microsoft Outlook to retrieve voice mail

Dear all,

The function of retrieving voice mail from Microsoft Outlook is possible but I don't know how setup my outlook. I try to find some docs on Cisco.com but I can not find the detail one mentioned how to setup like: username, password, server ip....

I already install the view mail.

Please help me how to use the outlook with Cisco unity.

Thank you very much,

Thanh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Are you using Unified Messaging?  It doesn't sound like it if you're not seing voice mails in your inbox.  There is no document that explains how Outlook works with AD, that is pure Microsoft.  Basically what it boils down to is that if you have the user accounts that exist in AD imported into Unity (the ones your users use everyday to login to their PC's and Outlook), Unity will be delivering messages to that mailbox.

If you're running a voice mail only setup (where the users just get their messages via the phone), they aren't aware that there is a user account/mailbox in AD that actually stores those messages since they don't use it for their corporate tasks.  The only way to get messages to arrive into their unified email inbox is to have imported their corporate user accounts into Unity.  View Mail for Outlook is just a form that is loaded into Outlook and when its installed, the users are instructed to input their AD user account/account password and the Unity server information.  View Mail for Outlook is geared towards Unified deployments, not voice mail only deployments.

Hope that helps,

Brad

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Are you using Unified Messaging?  It doesn't sound like it if you're not seing voice mails in your inbox.  There is no document that explains how Outlook works with AD, that is pure Microsoft.  Basically what it boils down to is that if you have the user accounts that exist in AD imported into Unity (the ones your users use everyday to login to their PC's and Outlook), Unity will be delivering messages to that mailbox.

If you're running a voice mail only setup (where the users just get their messages via the phone), they aren't aware that there is a user account/mailbox in AD that actually stores those messages since they don't use it for their corporate tasks.  The only way to get messages to arrive into their unified email inbox is to have imported their corporate user accounts into Unity.  View Mail for Outlook is just a form that is loaded into Outlook and when its installed, the users are instructed to input their AD user account/account password and the Unity server information.  View Mail for Outlook is geared towards Unified deployments, not voice mail only deployments.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Thank you for the reply.

I'm successful to setup the outlook to retrieve my voice mail. Yes, you are right. I use Unified deployment.

I now have one more problem with the PCA. When I open the /ciscopca I get a error on the top page

Unable to contact server. Try logging on again in a few minutes. If the problem  persists, contact your Cisco Unity administrator

Can you help me on this?

I follow some workarounds from Cisco but it can not help.

Regards,

Thanh

You'll want to go through the PCA troubleshooting guide for this specific error message:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/troubleshooting/guide/ex/5xcutsg170e.html#wp1049516

Brad