cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection 9.1.2.10000-10

Thomas Harshman
Level 1
Level 1

When we upgraded we did a parallel migration with an Intercluster trunk. I was able to run both and migrate users and phones over time. A lot more went into this and I won't digress.

The upgrade was from 8.x running on HP MCS hardware to 9.x on UCS B200 blades. This included CM, Unity Xcon, UCCX, and CER.

We have just a couple nuances and one of them includes the following:

This issue is sporadic though can be recreated over several attempts (20:1)

When a users does on of three things we notice that some times the VM pilot rings out an undetermined amount of times - could be three could be eight - before playing the necessary prompt with either,

1. calling in to check voice mail - either pressing "message" button or calling the pilot or our external 800 call-in number.

2. transfer a call to another users VM

3. External caller recieves numerous rings as a "busy" or "no answer" condition forwards to VM and then continues to ring several times. Then after                "ALL" those rings the user will be prompted that called party is not available with options to leave a message.

I have a case with TAC, however, I only escalated today as level I support could not really deal with it. They had me change my Line Group for the VM ports to "circular" from "Longest idle time" and restart, after hours, the Connection Mixer service and Conversation Manager on the PUB and all SUBS in this two site cluster. The change  for the hunt algorithm did not make sense cause the hunt would never be in question. Whether circular or LIT if you have enough open ports then LIT would simply calculate the just that and there would have to be an idle port with high idle time if you don't used them all ever concurrently. I have hundreds of ports and we generally do not concurrently use more than 10%. WAN is not issue as we have a 10 GB piece of dark fiber between regional locations 13 miles apart with 1 to 2 millisecs at most. I mentioned this as you know Unity ports are spread across the cluster for redundancy.

So in summary VM pilot should never ring.

Any thoughts?

Tom Harshman

3 Replies 3

Thomas Harshman
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, that was tacky to post a draft that was so gramatically incorrect as well as misspellings. Let me try that again. Just a few minor edits.

When we upgraded we did a parallel migration with an Intercluster trunk. I was able to run both as well as migrate users and phones over time. A lot more went into this and I won't digress.

The upgrade was from 8.x running on HP MCS hardware to 9.x on UCS B200 blades. This included CM, Unity Xcon, UCCX, and CER.

We have just a couple nuances and one of them includes the following:

This issue is sporadic though can be recreated over several attempts (20:1)

When a user’s does one of three things we notice that sometimes the VM pilot rings out an undetermined amount of times - could be three could be eight - before playing the necessary prompt with either,

1. Calling in to check voice mail - either pressing "message" button or calling the pilot or our external 800 call-in number

2. Transfer a call to other users VM

3. External caller receives numerous rings if a "busy" or "no answer" condition exists and then forwards to VM and then continues to rings                several times. Then after "ALL" those rings the caller will be prompted that called party is not available with options to leave a message.

I have a case with TAC; however, I only escalated today as level I support could not really deal with it. They had me change my Line Group for the VM ports to "circular" from "Longest idle time" and restart, after hours, the Connection Mixer service and Conversation Manager on the PUB and all SUBS in this two site cluster. The change for the hunt algorithm did not make sense because the hunt would never be in question. Whether circular or LIT if you have enough open ports then LIT would simply calculate highest idle time since they are never all in use concurrently. We typically do not use more than 10% concurrently and have our 25% for MWI handoff.

WAN is not issue as we have a 10 GB piece of dark fiber between regional locations 13 miles apart with 1 to 2 millisecs at most. I mentioned this as you know Unity ports are spread across the cluster for redundancy.

So in summary VM pilot should never ring.

Any thoughts?

Tom Harshman

UPDATE:

We have control of this issue and can recreate it. On this particular site we have a cluster for VM that has a pub with 48 ports and a SUB with 48 ports. The line group is circular and when we get to the last port in the cycle it addressed and opens the port and then the system does not answer the pilot for ~one minute. Then it resumes back to port one on the publisher. It works again through the cycle and when we get to the last port in the sequence it works and then when the last port is closed (hung up) then the system stops for one minute and the cycle begins. Sounds like there must be some cluster attribute that controls shifting the next answering port back to the PUB port one.

Hi Thomas,

Just a thought here but i thought in a Connection cluster the algorithm

would be set to Top-Down;

Step 3 On the Line Group Configuration page, enter the following settings.

Table 7-4     Settings for the Line Group Configuration Page for Answering Ports 

Field
Setting

Line Group Name

Enter Cisco Unity Connection Answering Ports or another unique name for line groups.

RNA Reversion Timeout

Accept the default of 10.

Distribution Algorithm

(Without a Cisco Unity Connection cluster) Select Longest Idle Time.

(With a Cisco Unity Connection cluster configured) Select Top Down.

No Answer

Accept the default of Try Next Member; Then, Try Next Group in Hunt List.

Busy

Not Available

From;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/9x/integration/guide/cucm_sccp/cucintcucmskinny070.html#wp1094879

Cheers!

Rob

"Seek it out and ye shall find  " 

- OneRepublic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: