cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity message server offline

achalante
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there...i really need help on this. My message server is offline, and i dont have savvy how to bring it back up. Can someone please guide me through this? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What do you mean your messaging is offline.. do you mean that Exchange has crashed? Is it off box? Will Exchange not start or just not communicating with Unity?

Start with the Event Log and see why Exchange is offline. Then note the errors and start looking up the Event IDs at Microsoft.com. When Exchange is down, it could be many different things. (corrupt database, AD issues, DNS problems, etc)

If you are really are unsure, get TAC on the phone to help you. You are better off calling in reinforcements, rather than causing more damage to Exchange.

Basic checks:

- DNS up and running

- Ping FQDN from Unity to Exchange (does it resolve)

- Check Event Log in Exchange. (why is it down)

- Hardware failure?

that's the weirdest part of it, there's nothing in the Eventviewer.

so what is telling you that Exchange is offline? Unity is saying this when you check messages?

when i try to retrieve my voicemail messages from the phone, that' when i get the response.

The first thing you have to know is where is the message store at. Is the exchange server on Unity? Or is it a stand alone exchange server. If it is are you able to ping the device from unity?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: