Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CiscoUnity_DSGC error explanation

We currently have about 10,000 subscribers deployed globally in three dialing domains - Each unity server is full of DSGC errors, some of them as follows. This particular user mentioned in the first error is a unity subscriber on one of the Unity servers, but not on the one I pulled the error from. Each unity server is homed to a highly availalbe DC and GC server at each site, but obviously there are issues assuming the hundreds of these errors are not cosmetic.

I have also looked at the Global Subscriber Table on each server and between the 5 different unity servers, they show anywhere from 8700 users in one Global Subscriber table to 10,000 on another - obviously unity is having an issue keeping these tables up to date/syncronized . We have also noted this when we search for users and they do not show up on one server, but do on another.

I do have a TAC case open but have not had any resolution to date as to what exactly is happening here as we need to resolve this before continuing with deployment. I have posted here because of the wealth of knowledge and resolutions this forum can offer.

Any information would be appreciated.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_DSGC

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 1049

Date: 7/27/2006

Time: 10:07:11 AM

User: N/A

Computer: USPLQMU100

Description:

The Cisco Unity service that monitors the global catalog (AvDSGlobalCatalog) failed to synchronize data for an object in the global catalog with the corresponding data for the object in the SQL Server/MSDE database on the Cisco Unity server. Unity will not be able to synchronize all changes for this object until this is resolved. However, other objects will continue to be synchronized.

Type: AVOBJECTTYPE_MAILUSER

Name: CN=Garner\, John (J),OU=Contractors,OU=ABC Users,DC=ABC,DC=com

Reason: 0x80072030 ERROR_DS_NO_SUCH_OBJECT: There is no such object on the server.

For more information, click: http://www.CiscoUnitySupport.com/find.php

Date: 7/27/2006

Time: 11:10:43 AM

Computer: USFRPU105

Description:

The Cisco Unity service that monitors the global catalog (AvDSGlobalCatalog) failed to synchronize data for an object in the global catalog with the corresponding data for the object in the SQL Server/MSDE database on the Cisco Unity server. Unity will not be able to synchronize all changes for this object until this is resolved. However, other objects will continue to be synchronized.

Name: CN=Westendorf\, Christine (A),OU=Contractors,OU=ABC Users,DC=ABC,DC=com

Reason: 0x80005000 E_ADS_BAD_PATHNAME: <unknown>

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: CiscoUnity_DSGC error explanation

What Unity version/patches do you have installed? Windows install info?

My best guess based on those errors is there are some special characters jacking up the LDAP queries we're making to find/update the objects in question - I know there were a few bugs along these lines specific with distribution list objects and slashes - I suppose those paranes could be causing an issue, but I wouldn't think so right off hand. It might be worth eyeballing the failures being noted with other users to see if that's the pattern or not.

Cisco Employee

There was also a similar (though not identical) error condition I ran across for that same event log error that might be worth looking at anyway - here's the notes on it:

============

If the object that encountered a failure was AVOBJECTTYPE_MAILUSER, and the error code was

ERROR_DS_NO_ATTRIBUTE_OR_VALUE, this has been seen when the AD user object represented by the ?name? portion of the event log message is a member of a distribution list that the service account for the AvDsGlobalCatalog does not have permissions to see. By viewing the ?member of? tab on the user object in the ?Active Directory Users and Computers? snapin, one can obtain a list of the groups of which the user is a member. Ensure the service account for the AvDsGlobalCatalog has sufficient permissions to view these group objects.

Yes, that is the object/error that TAC had referred to (the DL issue) but they suggested it was fixed in a previous version of Unity (4.0.4). We are running w2k, sp4 with e2k and unity 4.05. Because of the numbers of subscribers we have to deploy, its really critical that we identify this issue and get it resolved, because these errors are filling the event logs as well as we are starting to see very widespread issues / differences between all of these identically configured unity servers. I will keep working with TAC on this however if you feel you have any further information, would be happy to hear it. Thanks for your feedback.

Well, its almost one year later, and the TAC case went without resolution (partly my fault also due to other issues) - we now have over 20,000 unity accounts and the event logs are FULL of these errors, thousands at a time. I am going to engage our SE as well as open a new TAC ticket because we are now seeing so many replication related issues between unity sql and AD, that we can no longer ignore this. Has anyone else experienced this? It is clear that there is an issue with the \ in the user name but what does this error really mean in terms of service? I am noting that the Global Subscriber tables are way off, some showing a thousand less users than others - and all of those servers in the dialing domain point to highly available DCs and GCs...We are now today in a mixed environment of w2k/4.05 and w2k3sp1/4.1.2 but these errors were present long before the mixed environment. Any ideas?

Date: 6/12/2007

Time: 5:36:27 PM

Computer: USU102

Description:

Name: CN=Peters\, Mark (ME),OU=Employees,OU=Dow Users,DC=dow,DC=com

Reason: 0x80072030 ERROR_DS_NO_SUCH_OBJECT: There is no such object on the server.

has there been a resolution

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content