Views
Helpful
Replies

Clustering Question

INFOTEP_OFN
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm planning to configure a clustering in me voip network, my CM 6.1 is running 7825H3 server, but i have another server 7816H3 server also i have a HP Proliant DL380G4, and i was looking for thrid party server supports, and that particulary server is on that list. I wonder if using this server I'm able to configure publisher/subscriber servers.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is my caveat:  You said you already verified support for your server for the CUCM version you want to load.  I'm taking your word on that.  You also need to verify that you have the proper CPU, memory, etc. based on the hardware support guide.

With that said, you should technically be able to set up a cluster with any server that supports your version of CUCM.  Now, here are the caveats with that:

1) You cannot promote a Subscriber or change the Publisher to a Subscriber - not possible. You have to rebuild the cluster to do this.  So, the Publisher you have now is the Publisher for your cluster.

2) If you install a server that is technically more capable than your Publisher (or any Subscriber for that matter) - ex: 7825 is current Pub, you install the equivalent of a 7835 or 7845 - you still need to plan capacity based on the least capable server.  Vice versa, if you installed the 7816 (not saying it's supported and I would never use one in production personally) then you would need to consider the cluster limitations to primarily be based on the specifications of the 7816.

3) If you are using NTP, make sure you verify via CLI that the Publisher is sync'd before you try to add the Subscriber via the installation process.  If it is not, the Subscriber installation will likely fail as it's hardware clock is set to that of the Publisher.

That's about it.  Make sure you flush out the HP server and verify the specs on it before you proceed...i.e., save some headache for yourself.  As far as MCS branded vs. HP direct servers, Cisco servers are a simply a specific OEM build of an HP server.  Nothing special there.  Same with IBM.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is my caveat:  You said you already verified support for your server for the CUCM version you want to load.  I'm taking your word on that.  You also need to verify that you have the proper CPU, memory, etc. based on the hardware support guide.

With that said, you should technically be able to set up a cluster with any server that supports your version of CUCM.  Now, here are the caveats with that:

1) You cannot promote a Subscriber or change the Publisher to a Subscriber - not possible. You have to rebuild the cluster to do this.  So, the Publisher you have now is the Publisher for your cluster.

2) If you install a server that is technically more capable than your Publisher (or any Subscriber for that matter) - ex: 7825 is current Pub, you install the equivalent of a 7835 or 7845 - you still need to plan capacity based on the least capable server.  Vice versa, if you installed the 7816 (not saying it's supported and I would never use one in production personally) then you would need to consider the cluster limitations to primarily be based on the specifications of the 7816.

3) If you are using NTP, make sure you verify via CLI that the Publisher is sync'd before you try to add the Subscriber via the installation process.  If it is not, the Subscriber installation will likely fail as it's hardware clock is set to that of the Publisher.

That's about it.  Make sure you flush out the HP server and verify the specs on it before you proceed...i.e., save some headache for yourself.  As far as MCS branded vs. HP direct servers, Cisco servers are a simply a specific OEM build of an HP server.  Nothing special there.  Same with IBM.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Just to add something, 7816 is not supported for clusters if not with another 7816.

Unified CM Platform Capacity Planning

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/callpros.html#wp1043871

7815 and MCS 7816 servers support only 1+1 redundancy (maximum of 2 servers) and cannot be a member of a cluster containing other servers.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello

Thanks for your answer.

I have a couple doubts, regarding the server selection, my main server is 7825H3, i was reading and using the 7816 is not posible, but what about the HP servers, becuase most of those servers has 4gb of ram with 4 HD 72gb with raid 5. I need to make this configuration but without buying a new server, please i need you advise in this case.

Thanks

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Yancy,

The HP DL380G4 is shown as supported for all CUCM 6.x and 7.x version builds provided they

meet the specs (as nicely noted);

Supported Servers for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Cheers!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Thanks

I have that list, but i wonder if i have a server 7825H3 and other server HP Proliant DL380 I'm able to configure a cluster? Publisher/Subscriber

Thanks

Yes, you can create a cluster with those servers

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: