cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

COBRAS Export Question/Suggestion

mloraditch
Level 7
Level 7

So I'm no expert on the algorithim that COBRAS uses but when I say export no more than the last 5 days of messages why is COBRAS searching through messages from 2009?????? When you get into users with large mailboxes this takes a lot of time... It seems that the search is chronological backwards so I would think you could add some logic to deal with this.

This is an export from a classic unity UM Environment that i am seeing this in right now.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Has to do with the joy that is working with the MAL (part of the infamous DOH layer in Unity - COM based interface into directory and message data that COBRAS has to use).

Very short version - there _are_ filters and sorting triggers that can be requested, however there are many versions and configurations that cause it to blow up entirely and drop you out with a big pile of nothing.  For instance none of them work for Domino, and the Exchange based items work most of the time depending on the version of Unity and the version of Exchange in play, but it can't be trusted.

Yes... MOST of the time the messages returned on a raw MAPI fetch are in order but you can't count on it.  So rather than risk missing messaeges of any kind I kept it simple and annoyingly inefficient and it plods through the entire inbox to check them all.

I consider offering a "I'm feeling lucky" command line override to kick the filter in or something but that's a tough sell for the cycles to spend on dev and testing I'm afraid. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Has to do with the joy that is working with the MAL (part of the infamous DOH layer in Unity - COM based interface into directory and message data that COBRAS has to use).

Very short version - there _are_ filters and sorting triggers that can be requested, however there are many versions and configurations that cause it to blow up entirely and drop you out with a big pile of nothing.  For instance none of them work for Domino, and the Exchange based items work most of the time depending on the version of Unity and the version of Exchange in play, but it can't be trusted.

Yes... MOST of the time the messages returned on a raw MAPI fetch are in order but you can't count on it.  So rather than risk missing messaeges of any kind I kept it simple and annoyingly inefficient and it plods through the entire inbox to check them all.

I consider offering a "I'm feeling lucky" command line override to kick the filter in or something but that's a tough sell for the cycles to spend on dev and testing I'm afraid. 

Thanks for the insightful (and immediate) answer! Not what i wanted to hear but understandable. My last Unity to Unity Connection Migration is next month so hopefully I won't have to deal with this again.

...and as far as COBRAS Export efficiency goes - we're getting ready to release a coplete rewrite of COBRAS Export for Connection that's roughly 10 to 15 times faster than the original... so folks migrating around Connection servers shouldn't be stuck doing long, ponderous exports either.  Import rewrite is next - big doings in the city.

love to hear that as well as those I will be doing those Cxn to Cxn migrations many more times as we refresh servers and move people to UCS

Thanks again for the insight. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we are thankful for you taking the time to provide the insider view that you do.