Views
Helpful
Replies

COBRAS Import to Business Edition....

Vance Krier
Level 4
Level 4

Hey NetPros...

So, I just noticed the compatibility note that says a COBRAS import to CUMBE is unsupported. This is a bummer because I have a number of projects coming up where we are collapsing Unity boxes onto a CUMBE box.

I'm sure there is a very good and specific reason why it is listed as not being compatible. I'm wondering if there's actually a technical issue or if its a 'support issue' because CM is co-resident. I have not had a chance to test if it will even work or not.

This is a really big issue for us, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Perhaps Jeff could comment..I understand you are back to running the tools group.

Thanks gang!

Vance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

it wont work if you do try it. Definitely a couple technical issues at play.

The primary issue is the off box access to the database for the Call Manager data is considerably less robust than Connection's - this comes into play when creating new users since they actually have to be imported from CM's database as opposed to created in Connection's database (yes - there are two seperate Informix instances on a CoRes install with different rights for access). As such you can't easily create new users from off box. You can update existing users to a degree but even that gets ugly - in particular phone passwords (PINs) in a CoRest install are handled by Call Manager's database - and again these cannot be easily set from off box without jumping through a number of seperate authentication/access methods. Similiarly I can't back up passwords on a CoRes install for the same reason - which is also a bummer.

I'm told this is supposed to be improved in future versions but I have no committed dates for that. So exports from CoRes are supported but hobbled (no PINs) and imports into CoRes are simply not supported at all.

sorry about that - but it's not a political decision at all. Honest.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

it wont work if you do try it. Definitely a couple technical issues at play.

The primary issue is the off box access to the database for the Call Manager data is considerably less robust than Connection's - this comes into play when creating new users since they actually have to be imported from CM's database as opposed to created in Connection's database (yes - there are two seperate Informix instances on a CoRes install with different rights for access). As such you can't easily create new users from off box. You can update existing users to a degree but even that gets ugly - in particular phone passwords (PINs) in a CoRest install are handled by Call Manager's database - and again these cannot be easily set from off box without jumping through a number of seperate authentication/access methods. Similiarly I can't back up passwords on a CoRes install for the same reason - which is also a bummer.

I'm told this is supposed to be improved in future versions but I have no committed dates for that. So exports from CoRes are supported but hobbled (no PINs) and imports into CoRes are simply not supported at all.

sorry about that - but it's not a political decision at all. Honest.

Thanks for the great response Jeff.

It guess it is what it is. We'll just suck it up and move forward.

Thanks again,

Vance