cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring PostgreSQL on Windows for CUPS integration

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched the Cisco site and there are tons of documents on how to configure the database for *nix installs.  I, unfortunately, am not skilled in that arena.

I have downloaded and installed PostgreSQL on a Win2k8R2 server.

I tried to interpret the Cisco doc instructions as best I could

I have created a new database called tcmadb

I have created a new entity under Login Roles called tcuser and gave that user superadmin rights

I went back to the tcmadb database and made the tcuser the owner of the database

In CUPS, I created the new external database:

Database name -> tcmadb

Username -> tcuser

Pasword -> password that I assigned to tcuser when I created it in the database

Hostname -> IP address of my win2K8 server

Port Number -> 5432.

After several failures, I found a thread that indicated that I should create a new user in the Windows domain called tcuser.  I did that, and gave that user domain admin privileges.

I get the failure to connect error under External Database Status

Green check for reachability

Failure on connectivity to database “Verify the hostname, username, and password are valid”

Does it have anything to do with the postgres user account?

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeff,

this does not look related to the user permission. Here is what you need to do;

-> Browse to the postgres install directory in the windows server; and go to the following path;

program files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\

since i installed the 9.3 version of postgres hence it says 9.3 in the subfolder ; if you installed a different version for eg. 9.2 it will say 9.2 instead of 9.3.

-> you will need to edit the  pg_hba.conf file with the following entry;

host    tcmadb    tcuser   x.x.x.x/24      password

here is how you will need to interpret it;

x.x.x.x is the ip address of the publisher im and presence (cups) server; and /24 is the subnet mask of the same server.So you would need to check what is the subnet mask of the cups server in your case in the '/' (slash) format.

other than that in the line that i mentioned above you donot need to change any other thing. so once its edited you can then save the content of the file and then restart the postgres services from services.msc screen in the windows box

go back to the admin page of cups and it should show all green checks.

as a sideline note you will also need to edit the postgressql.conf file with the following 3 options;

listen_addresses = '*'

escape_string_warning = off

standard_conforming_strings = off( Note that if you see '#' you will  need to remove this for the commands to be active)

save and restart the postgres services again from start\run\ services.msc section to make sure that the changes take effect.

kindly rate the content if it helps.

- Amit

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeff,

this does not look related to the user permission. Here is what you need to do;

-> Browse to the postgres install directory in the windows server; and go to the following path;

program files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\

since i installed the 9.3 version of postgres hence it says 9.3 in the subfolder ; if you installed a different version for eg. 9.2 it will say 9.2 instead of 9.3.

-> you will need to edit the  pg_hba.conf file with the following entry;

host    tcmadb    tcuser   x.x.x.x/24      password

here is how you will need to interpret it;

x.x.x.x is the ip address of the publisher im and presence (cups) server; and /24 is the subnet mask of the same server.So you would need to check what is the subnet mask of the cups server in your case in the '/' (slash) format.

other than that in the line that i mentioned above you donot need to change any other thing. so once its edited you can then save the content of the file and then restart the postgres services from services.msc screen in the windows box

go back to the admin page of cups and it should show all green checks.

as a sideline note you will also need to edit the postgressql.conf file with the following 3 options;

listen_addresses = '*'

escape_string_warning = off

standard_conforming_strings = off( Note that if you see '#' you will  need to remove this for the commands to be active)

save and restart the postgres services again from start\run\ services.msc section to make sure that the changes take effect.

kindly rate the content if it helps.

- Amit

Amit -

Thank you for the reply.  You are absolutely correct.  Serves me right for reading the Cisco documentation that indicates that this is "optional"