cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Unity to access a new exchange 2000 server

imacci
Level 1
Level 1

I have Unity 3.1(3) connecting to an Exchange 2000 Server. This Exchange 2000 Server is going to be replaced by a new Exchange 2000 server, ie New Hardware box with E2K. The New Exchange Server will be assigned a different name than the existing Exchange 2000 server. How do I configure Unity to connect to this new exchange 2000 server.

Exchange 2000 is not running on the Unity server Box.

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would reccomend upgrading to 3.1(6) or a 4.0(x) version of Unity since the process here is pretty simple from those versions (not to mention you pick up hundreds of bug fixes along the way). The process involves simply rerunning Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration from the Add/Remove Programs in the control panel to point Unity to the new Exchange partner server. After that move all the mailboxes to the new server Exchange server and you're done.

with 3.1(3) the message store configuration wizard wasn't quite as bright and will give you fits here... it allowed you to move from 5.5 to 2000 fairly well but as I recall the 2000 to another 2000 server did not fly very well. If you just can't upgrade to a somewhat newer build I can dig around from some instructions for how to do this more manually.

Currently upgrading to higher versions is not an option. I have to continue to use Unity 3.1(3). If you could send me instructions for this version I would greatly appreciate it.

One of our fine QA staff wrote up these instructions on how to move from an E2K to another E2K server with Unity 3.1(x):

=======================

"How to rehome Unity from one Exchange 2000 server to another"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-02 AT 09:32 AM (PST) by tobster (admin)

This has only been tested on Unity 3.1. It was tested on several lab machines, as well as Shinsei Bank.

Stop Unity.

In AD Users and Computers, move user mailboxes from OldE2KSvr to NewE2KSvr.

Open DohPropTest and force a full resynch of the AD monitor and the GC monitor. You can just open DOHPropTest in read only mode (i.e. no password needed) to do this - the buttons are in the lower right for both functions.

Stop the AD Monitor and GC Monitor via the Services applet. These are the AvDSAD and AvDSGlobalCatalog services respectively.

Verify that the MailTransferAgent for the Subscribers was updated in SQL.

Delete the following registry setting:

++ HKEY_USERS > .Default > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > Current Version > Windows Messaging Subsystem > Profiles > Unity System Profile

Change the following registry settings to reflect the new server name. Be aware that some of these registry settings contain more than one reference to the previous Exchange server!

++ HKLM > Software > Active Voice > Doh > 1.0 > Mail Server Name

++ HKLM > Software > Active Voice > MalEx > 1.0 > ServerName

++ HKLM > Software > Active Voice > Directory Connectors > DirSynchAD > 1.0 > Directory > DefaultMailboxStore

++ HKLM > Software > Active Voice > Directory Connectors > DirSynchAD > 1.0 > Domains > {your domain name} > Mailusers > MailboxStore

**NOTE** In more recent versions of Unity, the above registry setting is in GUID format. If your registry setting is a GUID, the change needs to be made in

++ DohPropTest > AD Monitor > {your domain name} > Mailbox_Store and Default_Mailbox_Store.

Start the GC monitor and AD monitor

Restart Unity

Would the procedure be the same if I am simply changing the name of my Exchange 2K server? I have Unity 4.0.3 sr1.

Thanks!

skralik
Level 1
Level 1

This is documented in the new "Cisco Unity Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide (With Microsoft Exchange)," available at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html.

Scott K

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: