Views
Helpful
Replies

Create Messaging failover for voicemail

Sascha Monteiro
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I need to have DR capabilities, and need callmanagers and voicemail to be redundant so that all works if a datacentre goes down.

CallManager is no problem, I can also have 2 Unity servers with failover.

But the Messaging part is not clear, the designguide isn't either.

How can I have Exchange span the 2 physical locations?

in i.e. Exchange 2003 with virtual cluster and active/passive you need access to the same physical disk...

Or is there another configuration possible with replication between the 2 locations?

2 Replies 2

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use a third party tool to replicate Exchange to a remote location. The third party software will basically keep the exchange servers insync and when an outage or threshold is reached, the 3rd party software will change the standby servers IP address, hostname, etc to match the primary that is down.

So you really do not have to have clustering, even though MS recommends it, there are plenty of 3rd party tools that support this and MS supports this also. Unity would not care because the secondary server is a replicated copy of the primary.

http://www.quest.com/exchange/

Quest usually has the best software around, I'm sure there are others for Exchange HA.

I reckon that won't be supported by TAC,

thanks but are there other options?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: