Helpful
Replies

CUC 7.X Upgrade

btmulgrew
Level 4
Level 4

Guys -

Can someone just sanity check that I am picking this up correctly as per:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/upgrade/guide/7xcucrug009.html

If we perform a CUC upgrade (e.g. 7.0.2.1000 to 7.0.2.22900) to the inactive partition but choose not to reboot until a few weeks (even months) down the line.  Am i correct in thinking that at the point we switch versions, the current database from the lower version (in the active partition) is migrated to the newer (e.g. 7.0.2.22900) version.  All messages will be also be preserved in the common area.

If the inactive partition is at a lower revision this database migration does not occurr if we choose to role back weeks / months down the line.

Would a valid DR scenario therefore be:

Upgrade inactive partition to later relase

Leave later version in inactive patition running

In the event of a failure* to the active partition: simply switch to later version on inactive partition

All current data will be migrated to new version on incative partition

*This failure should not be severe enough to prevent the database migration / switchover.

Just let me know any thoughts.

Cheers

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brian,

Sanity Check .....yes, I need one daily

I think one of the main flaws with this line of thought is that User/mailboxes

Call Handlers etc. that are created after the upgrade has been completed

would not be migrated during the final "switch version".We have run the upgrade

during business hours and then waited until our evening maintenance window

to do the switch-version but nothing too long.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brian,

Sanity Check .....yes, I need one daily

I think one of the main flaws with this line of thought is that User/mailboxes

Call Handlers etc. that are created after the upgrade has been completed

would not be migrated during the final "switch version".We have run the upgrade

during business hours and then waited until our evening maintenance window

to do the switch-version but nothing too long.

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob - the section of documentation that has me confused is:

"Data from the partition where the older version is installed is copied to the partition where the newer

version is installed. If changes to the database schema require updates to the format of data, that

occurs in this step. Note that messages are stored in a common partition, so they are not copied.

The Connection server restarts and switches to the newer version."

I'm not sure now the if this migration takes place when we switch,  rather than when we upgrade?

Also the reference to messages not being copied as they reside in a common area means we preserve messages whenever we switch?

Is it too early for the 'Sanity Claus'  jokes?

Hey Brian,

I was hoping that someone far smarter than I would weigh in on this .....

I'll give you my understanding of this process (maybe someone will correct me here)

During the Upgrade process all data like User mailboxes/PINs/Greetings/Mailbox Store info

is migrated to the new version. This is why users added or PINs changed after the Upgrade but before the Switch-Version

are lost during the Switch-Version.

At the time of the Switch-Version messages are preserved even if they only came in two minutes before starting

the Switch-Version process.

Cheers!

Rob

Mr Huffman - you underestimate yourself!  Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: