cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 6.1.5 to 8.6.1 on VM Workstation DRS upgrade

Douglas Crane
Level 1
Level 1

So I have 8.6.1 installed and running on my VM Workstation upgraded from 6.1.5. Obviously this is crippled due to the lack of appropriate licensing. Not an issue I am sure to get installed once everything is in place.

My question is to the upgrade process.. I know that is should be done via a bridge DRS upgrade, if we used the DRS I get from the VM installation with 8.6.1 will it be a problem? I only ask because during the upgrade process when I restarted the PUB and SUB it states that the installation was compromised due to the original install being on unsupported hardware and thus has a voided warranty. Will this carry over to the UC through a DRS restore process on the new hardware?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DRS can only be run on the same version.  So, the upgrade process is to upgrade directly using upgrade media/ISO to appropriate version on bridge server and then use DRS to backup from final version and restore on new server with the same version.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DRS can only be run on the same version.  So, the upgrade process is to upgrade directly using upgrade media/ISO to appropriate version on bridge server and then use DRS to backup from final version and restore on new server with the same version.

HTH,

Chris

I don't mean to be rude however this does not answer my question Chris.

Let me restate..

The question is :

I have successfully upgraded to 8.6.1 from 6.1.5 all on a V.M. Workstation. If I make a DRS backup of the 8.6.1 DB of the Pub and Sub from the VM will there be any problems moving that to the actual UC hardware via a DRS restore..

The reasons ask is due to having only one spare MCS server to install 6.x then upgrade to 8.x. Having only one does not help me when installing the Sub as it needs a Pub during install.

Does this in fact void the warranty?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

My apologies for misunderstanding the question Douglas.

Let me see if I can provide more help this time. 

Yes, if you upgrade the application in vmware on your PC or whatever you are using you will be able to use that DRS backup to restore on your production environment.  This does not void any warranty.  I think you will have to keep in mind is the licensing which will be tied to the information such as IP address, DNS, NTP, etc, so you will want to ensure that your "staging" PC uses the same values as your production, in fact DRS works only on the same IP address/hostaname/password. 

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: