cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 6.1.5 upgrade to 10 - question on OVA

Daniel Isham
Level 4
Level 4

I am implementing a BE6K and am migrating from MCS servers. I was able to use CUCM version 8 OVA template to install 6.1.5 and restore from DRS.

Once I am finished upgrading to 10 initially, do I need to change the RHEL to version 6 in the OVA after shutting the VMs down to switch versions? 

I know that I need to do a jump upgrade and once I upgrade to 10, take a DRS backup, then install fresh version of CUCM 10 with the correct OVA and restore. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jump upgrade is ONLY supported if you're upgrading to 9.1(2), no other version.

For 10.x+, PCD migration replaces jump upgrade.

And yes, after in-place upgrade, you change the OS, that only assuming you're upgrading from a supported version on ESXi.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jump upgrade is ONLY supported if you're upgrading to 9.1(2), no other version.

For 10.x+, PCD migration replaces jump upgrade.

And yes, after in-place upgrade, you change the OS, that only assuming you're upgrading from a supported version on ESXi.

HTH

java

Okay so PCD is required to upgrade and ensure the partitions are aligned? So using PCD do I even need to change the existing ova OS since PCD will deploy for me to new OVAs?

No, you don't need to change the OS or anything else if using PCD.

HTH

java

Hi Daniel,

[+5] to Jaime.

You can also watch the video on PCD.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/video/12116751/prime-collaboration-deployment-concept

regds,

aman

So PCD isn't supported on our BE6K due to ESXi license. I jump upgraded to 9.1.2 and will now upgrade to 10. My question now is I know I need to modify the nic to vmxnet3, but should I do all of that before I even upload and perform the upgrade or after I switch the version?

After, I assume you have gone thru the RNs and the upgrade guide which covers all this, along with the OS change???

HTH

java

Yes I have gone through all of that. It states you need to make the change before the upgrade, but didn't specify before you start the upgrade or before you switch versions. I have looked at both the OVA read me and the install and upgrade guides for version 10. 

The guide states the following but to meet it seems like I have to make the changes before I even begin to upgrade the software. That is why I am confused, and thank you again for your help. 

Step 5  Upgrade the software to the latest version.
Step 6  Shut down the virtual machine.
Step 7  

Power on the virtual machine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: