cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 / CUC 8.6 Choosing VM DN Port Range

skipvergon
Level 1
Level 1

Brand new CUC 8.6 installation and integrating to CUCM 8.6.  Is there a standard DN to start the VM ports at?  Is there a consideration for these ports if your DN scheme is 5 digits vs. 4 digits?

Our old cluster (CCM 4.2 & Unity 4.2) has VM ports that are 4 digits, but we started out using 4 digit phone DN's as well.  We have since moved to 5 digit phone DN's.  I'm just wondering if in our new cluster if I should choose 5 digit DN's for the VM ports.  Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No best practice whatsoever on what VM port DNs should look like.

Since you're supposed to never reach the ports directly it really doesn't matter.

If your dial plan is 5 digits it makes sense to make them 5 digits as well.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks!

Personally, I usually use long digit lengths, or SIP trunking.

SIP trunking just requires a pilot number, so you don't have to worry about port DNs at all.

If you have a system with 150 ports, and 2 servers, that's 300 numbers which is a big chunk out of a 4 digit dial plan. I would pick one 'voicemail' DN, and then append three 0's on the end - e.g. on a 4 digit plan I might use:

1000 - voicemail pilot

1001 - voicemail DNs (actually use 1001001 to 1001300)

That way if you expand your voicemail system you can easily add another 600 ports without worrying about getting messy by going up to 1002 which you might be using etc.

Regards

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As was said earlier, the numbers should never be dialed directly.  The only thing I would add is to put them into their own Partition.  That way you can ensure that they can't be called and won't conflict with anything else in the dialing plan.  Only the VM pilot number should be in a regular, dialable partition. 

I am with Aaron here, I've purely deployed SIP integrated UCONs to CUCM in the last 2/3 years and it simplifies things quite bit. My typical approach to assigning port DNs in the past was to use non-DID range at the location the servers are hosted, so if UCON 1 is in site A where allocated non-DIDs are 85010000 - 85010999 I would pick something from that range, but ultimately as others said it should not matter.

Chris

Thanks for all the replies.

So I never considered a SIP vs. SCCP integration.  I will have to pull the SIP Integration guide and do some reading.  Any major considerations I should pay attention to?

Not really, just make sure you setup the SIP trunk on CUCM properly i.e. check diversion header checkboxes, and ensure Route Pattern(s) do not use "use external phone number mask" as these 2 items are common mistakes folks make.

Chris