Views
Helpful
Replies

cucm 8 on vmware

Kapil Atrish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

M trying to install CUCM 8.0 (1) on VMWare Workstation 5.0, tried following settings:

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 72GB

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 80GB

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 72GB

SCSI HDD 2 (0:1) 72GB

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 80GB

SCSI HDD 2 (0:1) 80GB

Every time I am getting the error during hardware check :

Critical Error

Validation error on HSSI mode:

VMWare Validation Failure:

Unable to validate VMWare based server disk settings.

Please check SCSI disks are at least 72GB in size and are located at 0:0 (and 0:1 in a two disk config) in machine settings.

My hardware is AMD Quad-Core with 4GB Ram. Attaching the screen-shot of the error also. Has anyone seen this error and knows any workaround?

Thanks in advance,

inner_silence

40 Replies 40

I have a similar problem see my previous post to this discussion.  I really beleive that my problem is relative to this error message that I get prior to the failure:

error opening /common/log/install/initial_hardware_info.dat

Then it goes and eventually fails at the point I have illustrated.  It seems that UC installed but it won't boot and I can't figure out how to edit the file system without it being up and running.

Found a sobering post today on another forum.  User complained about another user 'hijacking' his thread.  He said it wasn't proper ettiquette.  Guess that's what I've done here and several other times I won't do that anymore my apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Mark

l.checkon
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to load CCM 8 on VM workstation 6.5 with 2gb of memory and 80gb HD.

I know I said I wouldn't hijack posts anymore.  I feel this is relevant and may help someone who is searching and may be having the same problems I was.

I searched this forum for CUCM_7500_user_v1.0_vmv7.ova with no results. I was finally was able to create a VM CUCM 8.0(1) using this template. From the Vshpere Client under the file options menu is the option to 'Deploy OVF template'.  Choose it it's intuitive from there.  Then you can install CUCM on the VM.  Make sure to check the box 'connect DVD at startup' and check the box under options to 'boot from BIOS'  then boot off the install disk.

You can find the template on cisco.com on the download software pages for CUCM.

I will also go back and try to create one using the spec's that are in this thread.

I did the same as you mentioned created a  VM CUCM 8.0(1) using this template but still have the same error that the installation has failed. It doesn't matter if I am doing it manual or via the template and I do have a ESXI server.

I still see the

Error not sure if this is related but did anyone got it to work with this error?

Hope to here from you guys soon.

Regards,

Marco

captin1979
Level 1
Level 1

To Fix this error in the ESX 4,

Set the Drive to 73GB, will let you install the CCM8 on it.

or Use the OVA file, that will work also.      

Marco,

Sounds like you did you the .ova template to create your vm machine correct?  It's difficult to see the screen shot (maybe you should attach it) that you posted but it doesn't appear to show the failure only that it's in the hardware detection phase of the install.  Is that correct?

Also I would post more specifics about your platform for everyone to see.

Thanks,

Mark

kinwai
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I have included a link which consists of screenshot of the configuration for cucm802c which is working for me on workstation 7.1.0 and esxi 4.1.0

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/826/cucm802.png

Basically i used 80gb x 2 hdd (ignore the non presistent part) , 2gb ram , 2 x CPU

Cheers,

Kin Wai

captin1979
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the link where  you can download the OVA,

if you still have issue let me know the exact error.  let me see what i can do.    

Downloading Virtual Machine Templates (OVA Templates)

The configuration of a Cisco Unified Communications Manager virtual machine must match a supported virtual machine template.

Perform the following procedure to obtain the virtual machine template for Cisco Unified Communications Manager on the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Server:

Procedure

Step 1 Select this URL in your browser:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=278875240

Step 2 If your browser prompts you to do so, type your Cisco.com User Name: and Password: in the text boxes, then click the Log In button.

Step 3 Choose IP Telephony > Call Control > Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager) > Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 8.0.

Step 4 Click the Unified Communications Manager Virtual Machine Templates link.

Step 5 In the Latest Releases folder, click the 1.0(1) link.

Step 6 Click the Download Now button. Follow the prompts and provide the required information to download the software.

Step 7 When the Download Cart window displays, click the "Readme" link to view the virtual machine template's release information.

marcuswentrcek
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what I did with the Cisco Unity Connection 8.02 using VMWare 7.X

When you get the error that it wants it on scsi 0:1 and 0:2 - try using scsi 0:0 and 0:1 instead.  Naturally I installed VMWare on a seperate drive from my OS.

It was successfully install without ESXi.  I would stay far away from VMWare Server.

Hope this helps.

Marcus Wentrcek

Here are some screen shots from my CCM 8 install on VMWare Workstation

Marcus Wentrcek

WTS Telecom

Hi Team,

I have a quite old MCS 7835I (2GB RAM, 2 x 72 GB Disk and Intel Xeon CPU 3.4 Mhz), which I use for Lab purposes.

Up to CUCM V7.1 this one worked fine. CUCM V8 does not support this Hardware natively (I assume because of the Disks), therefore I am trying to make it working as guest system under ESXi 4.1 and the OVF Template from CCO.

I splitted up the RAID which brings 135 GB Disk space in the datastore of VMWare and I´ve selected "Thin Provisioning" due to limited disk space.

The installation of CUCM 8.0(3) starts fine (Formatting, Install OS, Copy Backup Archive) but during

Application Pre-Install it ends up in a unrecoverable Error. The Installation halts and the system offers

to write a dump.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

regards

Alfred

Can you post the error?

My initial thought would be the RAID settings.

Disk and RAM are correct.

When it offers a dump use your USB device to grab it and submit it.

Regards,

Marcus Wentrcek

@Marcus, thx for your answer.

I think its to late in the installation process for a RAID issue.

Here is the error message:

Application-Pre Install
Package: # 35 of 76

Critical Error
The installation has encountered a unrecoverable internal error.
For further assistance report the following information to your support
provider.

Command
"/usr/local/bin/base_scripts/pmNormalizeGeneric/tmp/ipmWorkfile"
has exceeded timed threshold of 90 seconds

The system will now halt.

Continuing will allow you to collect diagnostic
information before halting.

I am still looking how to get a more detailed installation-log or even to analyze the

dump information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: