Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CUCM and UC, SCCP Integration

Hi All,

I need to integrate UC with CUCM, I did this too much before but this time with HA license.

I need to know the follwoing points:

==> CUCM:

1. I will creat one VM pilot number. but shall I create one line group or two line groups. one line group for UC Pub and another for SUB or only one?
  2. How many ports I should create? If the license contains 140 Voice Ports, then shall I creat 140 for Pub and 140 for Sub? or 70 for Pub and 70 for Sub?

==> UC:

Like CUCM how many ports I should create in UC?

Regards,

10 REPLIES

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/integration/guide/cucm_sccp/cucintcucmskinny200.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/integration/guide/cucm_sccp/cucintcucmskinny070.html

Considerations for a Cisco Unity Connection Cluster

If your system is configured for a Cisco Unity Connection cluster, consider how the voice messaging ports will be used in following scenarios.

When Both Cisco Unity Connection Servers Are Functioning Normally

•The phone system is provisioned with twice the number SCCP voice mail port devices needed to handle the voice messaging traffic.

•A hunt group is configured to send incoming calls first to the subscriber server, then to the publisher server if no answering ports are available on the subscriber server.

•Both Cisco Unity Connection servers are active and handle voice messaging traffic for the system.

•In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, the voice messaging ports are assigned in the following manner:

–The subscriber server answers most incoming calls for the system.

–The publisher server handles most dial-out calls (MWI requests and notifications).

This guide directs you to assign the voice messaging ports to their specific Cisco Unity Connection server at the applicable time.

•The voice messaging ports on both Cisco Unity Connection servers are registered with the phone system.

•The number of voice messaging ports that are assigned to one Cisco Unity Connection server must be sufficient to handle all of the voice messaging traffic for the system (answering calls and dialing out) when the other Cisco Unity Connection server stops functioning.

If both Cisco Unity Connection servers must be functioning to handle the voice messaging traffic, the system will not have sufficient capacity when one of the servers stops functioning.

•Each Cisco Unity Connection server is assigned half the total number of voice messaging ports.

If all the voice messaging ports are assigned to one Cisco Unity Connection server, the other Cisco Unity Connection server will not be able to answer calls or to dial out.

•Each Cisco Unity Connection server must be assigned voice messaging ports that will answer calls and that can dial out (for example, to set MWIs). For details, see Chapter 8 "Configuring Voice Messaging Ports for a Cisco Unity Connection Cluster."

Hope it helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts !!

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi JFV,

I just thought I might add these notes to the great tips from Anand (+5 "A")

Balancing the Load of Calls That the Cisco Unity Connection

Servers Handle

Although it is possible to balance the load of calls that the Cisco Unity Connection servers handle in a

Connection cluster, we recommend that most call traffic be directed to the subscriber server. This

configuration follows the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster model of allowing call traffic

only on subscriber servers.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager by Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP)

When integrating Connection with Cisco Unified CM by Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP), it is

possible to balance the voice traffic that the Cisco Unity Connection server pair handles by using one of

the following methods:

• (Recommended) In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration (on the Call Routing >

Route/Hunt > Line Group page), use Top Down as the distribution algorithm for the line group that

contains directory numbers of ports that will answer calls on both servers in the Connection cluster.

In Connection Administration, all the ports that share the same device name prefix will be in a one

port group. (If there are ports that share a different device name prefix, they must be in a separate

port group.) Beginning with the answering port that has the lowest number in its display name,

assign half the answering ports to the subscriber server so that the subscriber server will answer most

incoming calls. Assign the remaining answering ports to the publisher server. Then beginning with

the dial-out port that has the lowest number in its display name, assign half the dial-out ports to the

primary server so that the primary server will handle MWIs and notification calls. Assign the

remaining dial-out ports to the subscriber server.

• In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration (on the Call Routing > Route/Hunt >

Line Group page), use Longest Idle Time as the distribution algorithm for the line group that

contains directory numbers of ports that will answer calls on both servers in the Connection cluster.

In Connection Administration, all the ports will be in a single port group. The first half of the

answering ports and dial-out ports will be assigned to the publisher server and the remaining ports

will be assigned to the subscriber server in the Connection cluster.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/design/guide/8xcucdg060.pdf

Cheers!

Rob

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and +5 for both.

let me try to tell what I understand and please correct me if I am wrong.

CUCM:

VM Pilot Number >> Hunt Group >> Sub Line Group + Pub Line Group (Top Down) >>Ports.

If I have 250 ports, then line Group 1 (Sub) contains 125 ports and Line Group 2 (Pub) contains 125 ports.

Unity Connection:

SUB: Phone System >> Port Group >> 125 Ports.

Pub: Phone System >> Port Group >> 125 Ports.

Thanks in advanced.

Re: CUCM and UC, SCCP Integration

With Unity Connection, you can have to up to 250 ports per server but the HA configuration requires 2 licenses.  The license file loaded on the Publisher is the full license file (users + features + ports).  There is also an HA license loaded separately on the Subscriber with just port-related information.  The license on each server includes the parameter that sets the maximum number of voice messaging ports for that server.  The number of ports licensed for each server should match.

From there, you would have X number of ports for each server and it would look like this:

VM Pilot ---> Hunt Pilot ---> Hunt List ---> Line Group (Subscriber), Line Group (Publisher)

On Unity Connection, you would have the following:

Phone System ---> Port Group (Publisher), Port Group (Subscriber) ---> X ports per server (based on licensing)

Hope this helps!

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

In fact, I have problem with license files. I received only one PAK from Cisco, and I should create two files one for Pub and another for Sub.

I do not know what I have to do?

I contacted licensing team and I sent the PAK with two MAC addresses (Pub and Sub).

they did very bad job with me, after many communications and sending some links from Cisco documentation, they sent me two files one for Sub, contains every thing mailbox and voice ports (250 voice port).

The second file for Pub contains mailbox without any voice port.

So I can create ports in Sub but I am not able to create any thing in Pub.

what I understand from your post. I have to ask them to send two new files:

Pub ( mailboxes and 250 voice ports)

Sub ( only 250 ports)

Am I right?

Cisco Employee

Yes.  You should have two license files with 250 ports; one for the pub and one for the sub.

Incidentally, I think the document referenced here is a bit dated and/or needs to be revised.  Especially for the higher traffic servers, you should use the "Longest Idle Time" algorithm instead of "Top Down".  We have seen situations where on large deployments, you may drive the CUCM (7.1+ specifically) into a code yellow condition because of all the hunting through large lists of busy voicemail ports.  Even a Circular distribution algorithm would probably do better than Top Down. 

Speaking of efficiency, I'd also recommend setting a delay on MWI requests on the Connection port group, especially if you have large distribution lists which will receive messages.  The default is 0 ms, which--for large deployments--is really fast, but it can be counterproductive.  First, it's a spike in load to both the CUCM and Connection servers.  Second, if you light all the lights too fast, then you're inviting an all-ports-busy event as everyone tries to check their messages.  Setting that value to something like 1000 ms is often a good, safe value.  Again, you can make MWI come on faster, but can the number of ports handle the people calling in to check?  In the legacy voicemail world, MWI were comparatively slow anyway. 

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hey JFV,

Just be patient with licensing, once you get the right person they'll be able to help you out

When you email them lay out exactly what you need;

Licenses for Unity Connection x.x High Availability Cluster

on Publisher with MAC aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd we require

x - user licenses

x- port licenses

....other feature licenses

on Subscriber with MAC ccc.bbb.aaa.ddd we require

x- port licenses

from PAK 123456789xxxx

Cheers!

Rob

PS: Markus, thanks for the excellent tips  (+5 ) the link with the reference to Top Down

hunting is from the 8.x design Guide so maybe that can get fixed up.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/design/guide/8xcucdg060.pdf

Thank you Markus, very good tips.

Thank you Rob, I will try with them.

Is there any way to request the license file from web rather than contacting license file.

Regards,

Re: CUCM and UC, SCCP Integration

You need to order the HA part SKU so that you can get a permanent port license for the second server.

Hailey

Thank you all for your replies.

Views
Helpful
Replies