Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Installation using hostname FQDN

Farhan Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have been looking for the following information on Cisco.com but with no luck. I hope the community here will be able to assist me.

We are in the process of setting up a fresh CUCM 11.5 cluster for a client. We want to utilize DNS servers, and during the installation, enter the hostname using FQDN (e.g. cucm1.xyz.com) so that we may not run issues with other application integration later on. During the CUCM installation, we are also required to enter the domain(e.g. xyz.com).

I am looking for clarification on the following:

1 -During the installation, are we able to add a hostname using the complete name with fqdn (e.g cucm1.xyz.com, I read a post where they mentioned they couldn't add it )?

2 - During installation,if we were to enter the hostname as cucm1.xyz.com and then later on in the following steps add the domain as xyz.com, would the hostname under CUCM GUI --> System --> Server show as "cucm1.xyz.com" or "cucm1.xyz.com.xyz.com"?

Please point to any Cisco documentation that would help clarify this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Farhan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Don't sweat over it, because it is not possible to do it during the installation. ;)
After you finish installing whole cluster, just go to "Server -> Servers" and just manually change the host name to FQDN. That's what I'm doing all the time, and it is OK.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1. In the Hostname field, you're not allowed to enter FQDN (and it won't let you as much as I remember). You need to enter the hostname ONLY.
  2. After that, in the DNS configurations, you just enter your domain and DNS servers.

And that's it ;)

Thanks Slavik.

Since we are only able to enter hostname without the FQDN, then under CUCM GUI -- System -- Servers it would only show the hostname.

What would need to be done to get it to show the full name with FQDN? I was hoping to get this done during the installation steps rather than going back and changing it after setting up the complete the cluster.

Thanks,

Farhan

Don't sweat over it, because it is not possible to do it during the installation. ;)
After you finish installing whole cluster, just go to "Server -> Servers" and just manually change the host name to FQDN. That's what I'm doing all the time, and it is OK.

Slavik is correct (+5), I have been doing the same on all of my deployments in the last few years since FQND became the recommendation from Cisco.

Thanks for the clarification Slavik.

Thanks,
Farhan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: