Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CUCM upgradation - Image will be bootable or not?

Hi,

We are going to upgrade our CUCM 4.x to 7.1. As we are having UCSS, we went through the PUT and found that two options are available for download.

CM7.1-K9-UPG=         SW Upgrade to 7.1 for SASU or UCSS 
CM7.1.2-K9-UPG=     SW Upgrade CM 6.0/6.1 to 7.12 for UCSS

Here the main challenge is we are chaging the existing servers with newly procured MCS, so currently my query is

1, Which one of the above mentioned upgrade should be ordered as we require bootable image?

2, Can we download and write it in a DVD and use it for fresh installation?

Please advice

13 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: CUCM upgradation - Image will be bootable or not?

Hi TT,

You will want;

CM7.1-K9-UPG=         SW Upgrade to 7.1 for SASU or UCSS

This will provide you with the "build" DVD's from Cisco The ISO files on

CCO are not bootable.

Cheers!

Rob

+5 and a confirmation to my fellow CSC VIP, Mr. Rob "The Hall of Fame 4Eva" Huffman.

You need the CM7.1-K9-UPG= as these are the bootable media.  Just check compatibility between hardware version and software version.  In some cases, your hardware can "technically" be compliant but the DVD's are written with a hard-coded check for hardware compatibility.  For example, let's say you have a 7825-I4 server but receive disks for a a 7.x train that came out just before the I4.  In some (or all) cases, you may see some "issue" regarding compatibility.  If you do, don't panic - just open a TAC case and look for the best course of action based on scenario.  I only bring this up, not to confuse you, but because we've seen it pop up in the forums quite a bit lately.

Long live my boy, Huffman. By the time I'm 200 years old, I might (just might) be up near you in the rankings my friend.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks Rob and Hailey...

I am actually looking forward to install this  version on IBM X3650 M2 (Part No: 7947-IT5) bought directly from IBM.

So is there any one who have done the installation on this server....

Thanks

TT

I have installed CUCM on a bare metal server not even too long ago.  It was a 7835, I just don't recall the exact

part number off the top of my head.  The first thing to look for is that it meets all of the hardware specs noted for CUCM in the HW compatibility guide.  Sometimes there are memory or other upgrades that must be added to bare metal servers in order for CUCM to load.  In my scenario, I did run into an issue where there bootable ISO I wanted to use was too new for the server.  So, I had to back down to a 7.1.3 base install DVD and then do an install/upgrade to patch to the level I wanted to be at.

Hailey

Hall of Fame Super Red

Thanks Hailey,

Receiving such kind words on a cold/snowy Thursday morning are much appreciated my friend

Don't forget, you've only been posting for a short time and you've already attained a very high status

here at CSC (VIP!) This is due to the superior quality of your answers and the dedication that you

show in really trying to help people here. I can't say enough about the great addition you are to

these communities!

Great work Hailey! +5

Cheers!

Huff

Ive been dealing with almost this exact issue for the last month.  We bought two MCS7835I3-K9-UCB2 servers with Unity connection 8.0 on them.  After further discussion, we have decided to "try" and downgrade to version 7.1(3) before we put them in production.  It has been an absolute mess trying to get the right answers.  We bought all the required licensing and I finally got our ESW # and our PACS tied together which would then allow us to get all the needed media and licensing from the "PUT" tool.  After 36 different phone calls and transfers around every cisco department I thought I had my answer.  I ordered "UNITY7-UPG-UWL-K9=" and the licensing and media arrived. I opened to find the media was version 7.0(2) and not 7.1(3) which i was looking for.  I then figured what the heck, ill just intall this version and then try and do the upgrade off the CCO site.  I quickly learned that for some reason neither of our servers will boot to this media??????  After another 10 calls to cisco/TAC/Sales/UCSS/etc Im still without answers....

anyone have any suggestions?  (please dont tell me to just stick with version 8, I know)

Thanks

Alex,

I would reach out to your account team and ask for, I believe, 7.1.3.1000 (may be 7.1.3.1000-1).  That would be the bootable base version of 7.1(3).  They should be able to provide that to you.  I've not looked at the HW list so I can't guarantee it will load (though I think it should).  If it does, just upgrade to 7.1(3b)SU2 after the install and you'll be good to go.  Very stable release.

Hailey

Yea, thanks.  I just tried to DL the two parts and combine them into one .iso from CCO and I was able to combine them and burn, however, they failed to boot.  the most frustrating thing so far is that Cisco themselves cant lead me in the right direction on their own product!  Thanks for the info, Ill shoot an email to my reseller and get them to send me the media.  I appreciate your feedback.

I now have the sales team and TAC fighting over who is suppose to provide the media. It would be quite comical if I werent under such a time crunch.

Just a clarification.

TAC does not provide media simply because TAC does not possess any DVD's for customer's use.

Normally when you want to order media, you contact your local Cisco partner, account team or simply follow the instructions on this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item09186a00802262ed.shtml

I hope you will sort this out soon

Regards,

Christos

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I keep getting pushed back to TAC from many sources (inside Cisco).  We are are on about day number 14 and I still cant get an answer from anyone about where exactly to get the media needed.  TAC offered to post a bootable version for me this weekend, however for some reason he only offered version 7.1(5) which I have told hom 20 times that I need version 7.1(3).  Im thinking I might have better luck posting an add on craigslist and seeing if anyone local has the media    Im quickly regretting the thousands of daollars spent on this upgrade.

Hi Alex,

I did the CUCM upgradation to 7.1(3b) before a few weeks.

Actually i downloaded the parts from cisco and joined and checked the MD5 value. It was perfect. Then i burned a cd, but it was not booting...

As i was having the file in my laptop, i did the upgradation through SFTP, eventhough it will take some time to verify the media, but still it worked wonderfully and i was able to complete the task.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

TT

At this point, i will try anything.  Could you point me in the direction of a little more info on what exactly you did? Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content