Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 4.2 to 8.6

dimensyssrl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

We have a customer that need to upgrade from CallManager version 4.2 to CUCM version 8.6.

Actually, we have a cluster with a publisher and a subscriber with 4.2 installed and in a production environment (many ip phones, gateway, srst, and so on).

Customer has also a new machine with CUCM 8.5 installed, but not configured.

Is there any documentation that can guide through these steps?

Reading some docs, I think that I must:

- upgrade 4.2 to 4.3 (into old machine, first subscriber and then publisher, or viceversa?)

- upgrade to 7.1(5) with a tool installed into 4.3, and then import data into 7.1(5) in installation phase (to do this, we must format 8.5 machine and install 7.1(5) on it? - we have a smartnet, can we obtain 7.1(5) installation media?)

- upgrade to 8.6 (I don't know how, with a tool? directly on machine?)

From your experience, where are critical points?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion.

Daniele

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bootable media needs to be ordered via PUT or get in touch with your AM and see if they can assist.

No bootable media is posted on CCO.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Daniele,

You can go to 7.1.5 from 4.2 using DMA, no need to go to 4.3 as that would require reinstalling everything as it 4.3 uses Windows 2003. Then you can go from 7.1.5 to 8.6.

Here is CUCM compatibility guide showing all supported upgrade paths:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

You should read all the upgrade guides for the intermiddiate versions you are upgrading here, they have all the details you need:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_installation_guides_list.html

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for your reply Chris.

In the next days I'll go to my customer site for an analysis.

Another question: how can I sizing MCS?

Customer has bought a MCS-7816 machine, now he wants to understand if this is a properly platform for its environment.

Thanks

Daniele

Daniele,

Check out this link for which platform are supported with CUCM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thanks again Chris.

I know that our platform supports CCM 8.6, but my question is about sizing, considering our environment:

we have X ip phones, Y gateway, Z ata, and we want to know if our MCS is sufficient for these requirements.

Thanks

Daniele

How many users/phones/etc?

Check out this great thread with some good links to capacity tools for CUCM:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3037602#3037602

Chris

These are the numbers.

250     7912

40       7960

25       ATA

10       IP Communicator

Thanks, I'm using the tool.

On a side note, is this client using Attendant Console?

If they are and still want to use it on the upgraded system they'll need to plan accordingly as it's now a stand alone product.  It requires a Windows server and separate licensing from CUCM.

Too many times this was a surprise to clients.  Scope this out as soon as possible.

Hello.

We have some problems yet, about this migration.

I've upgraded 4.x version to meet Upgrade Assistant requirements.

Now I need to export data with DMA, but...

New hw (mcs7835) has version 8.5 installed, but we need to go through version 7.1(x), and we don't have any 7.1 installation medium...

We have purchased all licenses, but anyone seems to be able to help us or to give us a 7.1 installation medium (on cco we can find only upgrade cd installation).

Thanks for any help.

Daniele

Bootable media needs to be ordered via PUT or get in touch with your AM and see if they can assist.

No bootable media is posted on CCO.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: