cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUDLE still missing that darn OCX

jeffc3368
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Jeff thanks for your fast response! I downloaded your build from today, but it still seems to be missing the same file - vsflex7u.ocx. If you uninstall CUDLE, rename the vsflex7u.ocx file (if it still exists after the uninstall), then install and try to run you should see what I am getting. Looking forward to using this tool...

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hmmm... just tried it on two clean boxes and QA tested as well - seems to be working dandy. Not sure why yours is giving you fits. I'll look at it further but something else is at play here.

If you register the OCX file yourself with regsvr32, does it still complain?

The problem is, the install does not even place the file on my system in the first place. My hunch is that when you and QA test it you already have the ocx on your systems ahead of time. Perhaps you can duplicate what I am seeing if you first verify that vsflex7u.ocx does not exist on the system before doing an install. If it does exist then I suggest temporarily renaming it to verify the install does not create it.

Also, I do have a file called vsflex3.ocx from a previous install of something else. Is it possible your setup program is not copying the ocx becuase it is seeing an earlier version of the control? It is the only file I have that starts with the name "vsflex". I know InstallShield has different options about what it does if it finds an earlier version of a file (although in this case the file names are different, perhaps it is going by the control name).

I dunno - maybe you got a cached version of that MSI of the site somehow. I tried several scenarios and it's definitely sticking the OCX into system32 and registering it.

I unregistered the OCX, deleted it and then I ran CUDLE and it gave the same error you're getting (as you'd expect) - then I installed the MSI that I downloaded off the site and the OCX was added and the tool ran fine.

I also unregistered the OCX, deleted it, unisntalled the tool and then installed the MSI off the site and again, it ran fine again.

So the best I can suggest is to try downloading the MSI again to make sure you got the latest and give it another go - the setup is correct and it's doing the right thing.

I downloaded the install again today and it now works! The only thing that I can think of is that on Friday I downloaded the install before you actually placed the new version on the web site (even though the date/time of the file on the web page did show it as Friday's date???). I opened each file I downloaded (Friday's and today's) in a binary editor and searched for 'vsflex' and sure enough the install from Friday does not have it and the install from today does. Anyway, it is working now - thanks!

Well wouldn't you know it - now that I am trying to run the tool I am having a strange problem, even after a system reboot. Upon starting the app it gives me a dialog stating "This tool only runs on Unity 3.1(1) servers or higher.", which is fine so I click Ok. The app then starts and I choose File...Attach to remote Unity server (since I do not have a local server), but nothing happens - I was expecting to see a dialog asking me for the server location, but nothing. In fact none of the menu items seem to work! They are all enabled but if I select one it does nothing. Even the menu items under Options, which appear to be toggle items, do not toggle (I cannot check or uncheck any of the items). Not even File...Exit works - although I can close it by clicking the X in the upper right corner. Very strange...have you heard of this before?

Wouldn't suprise me if the off box stuff didn't work any longer - haven't looked at that or tested it in quite some time. The tool is designed primarily as an on box development tool and it's how its used in house almost exclusively. I can look at the off box stuff but not for a while - kinda busy right now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: