cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUMC 7.1.x Presence with OCS 2007 Federation

btmulgrew
Level 4
Level 4

Hi - We have a customer who is looking to use CUCIMOC (CUCM 7.1.3) on the desktop, but utilise CUMC / CUMA 7.1.x on their Blackberry devices.

Is it possible to extend the MOC Presence / IM features out to the BB CUMC 7.1.x client (and vice-versa) through an OCS > CUPS federation with CUMA?

Any thoughts appreciated.

thks

Brian

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Last time I looked at this (I know Michael will be typing a more accurate response as I do this one) it had just become possible (in v7 of CUMA and CUPS) to share presence info between CUMA and CUPS (effectively CUMA lost it's presence engine and used the CUPS one), and between CUPS and OCS via federation... but the docs suggested it wasn't possible to get the presence info from OCS>CUPS>CUMA.

The other thing to consider is that federation isn't the same as having two different clients from the same vendor on your phone and desktop - for example, if it did work you would have your OCS contacts list on your desktop, and a separately managed list of federated contacts on your CUMC client. Most users would find that sort of thing clunky I suspect...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

For better OCS support, I think you should check out MOC Mobile: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator/HA102027021033.aspx

But they don't support BB yet.

On Cisco side, CUMA will be phased out in the future.  CUMC will be CSF based and has the same (if not more) feature of CUPC.  With XMPP support, you should be able to connect to OCS, Sametime, Google Talk, (if Cisco allows you).  At least you can do XMPP federation with those vendors.

Michael

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Last time I looked at this (I know Michael will be typing a more accurate response as I do this one) it had just become possible (in v7 of CUMA and CUPS) to share presence info between CUMA and CUPS (effectively CUMA lost it's presence engine and used the CUPS one), and between CUPS and OCS via federation... but the docs suggested it wasn't possible to get the presence info from OCS>CUPS>CUMA.

The other thing to consider is that federation isn't the same as having two different clients from the same vendor on your phone and desktop - for example, if it did work you would have your OCS contacts list on your desktop, and a separately managed list of federated contacts on your CUMC client. Most users would find that sort of thing clunky I suspect...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

For better OCS support, I think you should check out MOC Mobile: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator/HA102027021033.aspx

But they don't support BB yet.

On Cisco side, CUMA will be phased out in the future.  CUMC will be CSF based and has the same (if not more) feature of CUPC.  With XMPP support, you should be able to connect to OCS, Sametime, Google Talk, (if Cisco allows you).  At least you can do XMPP federation with those vendors.

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: