cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUP 8.0 Permanent license installation problem - CUPC unregistered!

Hi, guys

I've used CUP 8.0 in evaluation mode for some time and had no problems witch CUPC 7.0 - it can be used in softphone mode and deskphone controll mode. CUPC 8.0 can't work in softphone mode because of license restriction of evaluation mode.

I've uploaded licence file to CUP server with 1 server unit, to be able to use CUPC 8.0 as softphone.
But then, I can't get any CUPC client working - during registration process it fail with error: "System logon failure" and "Registration failure" on CUPC 8.0 and CUPC 7.0 respectively.

There is also one suspicious alert detected on RTMT:  Service operational status is DOWN. Cisco UP XCP Directory Service;Cisco UP XCP Message Archiver;Cisco UP XCP XMPP Federation Connection Manager.
If I manually start them in Serviceability - they don't come up or immediately reverts to stopped state.

I don't have much experience in CUP troubleshooting and analyzing traces and would be appreciated for any help or advice.

2 Replies 2

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

1) Phone features on CUPC is not limited by CUPS license.  They are enforced by CUCM DLUs.

2) If CUPS was on evaluation mode, all CUPC users are "licensed".  However, if you uploaded a permanent license to CUPS, you have to explicitly license them from CUCM > System > Licensing > Capability Assigment.  By default, no CUPC user will be licensed (ie. you cannot log into CUPC).

3) "Cisco UP XCP Directory Service;Cisco  UP XCP Message Archiver;Cisco UP XCP XMPP Federation Connection Manager" are all optional features on CUPS 8.x.  They don't have be up.  And they won't be up until you configured them properly.

For more information on CUPS 8.x services and configuration, you may take a look at http://www.lulu.com/content/5552336

Thanks!

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

1) Phone features of CUPC is limited by absence of permanent CUP server licence, as said in
"Deployment Guide for Cisco Unified Presence Release 8.0" on page 2-2:
"∙ When the Cisco Unified Presence server is operating in Evaluation mode, users of Cisco Unified
   Personal Communicator are able to exchange instant messaging and availability information, and
   use desk phone control. However, Cisco Unified Presence does not support the softphone client
   feature on Cisco Unified Personal Communicator during the evaluation period."
But this restriction applies on CUPC 8.0 (pre-release) only - it had been working in deskphone controll mode with XMPP IM/Presence capabilities. CUPC 7.0 can work in both - softphone and deskphone modes (I've tested it in evaluation mode).
2) Before testing CUPC clients in evaluation mode, I've assigned "CUP Enable" and "CUPC Enable" capabilities in "CUCM > System > Licensing > Capability Assigment" for my test users. This consumed CUCM DLUs as it should - so I don't think that this is the cause of my problem.
My CUCM 8.0 server now operating with Demo licenses (150 DLUs authorised / 29 used / 121 reamining). Maybe there is some restrictions to this configuration, when CUCM have Demo license, while CUP - permanent license?
Thanks for help!