cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC 8.0 on Windows 7 64bit

rfallara
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone used CUPC 8 on Win7 64bit and if so do you run into any EXTREME slowness issues? It is happening for me whenever I open a chat session with someone that has a long chat history; the processor on the PC spikes and becomes basically unusable. I am curious if this is happening with anyone else and if there are any known plans to address this besides waiting for the 64bit client in Q3 2011.

It seems to run fine on 32bit versions of windows 7.

5 Replies 5

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CUPC 8 already supports Windows 7 64bit (except for the deskphone control mode video)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_0/english/release/notes/cupc80.html#wp181017

If the hardware and software req is met, usually the slowness is a result of another app/local operting system/network. Typically, CUPC 8, on its own, does not cause this slowness.

Thanks

If I run MS sysinternal process explorer it is definitly the CUPC.exe process that starts consuming 60+% of the CPU cycles. The real weird part is if I go under the appdata Transcripts folder in Cisco Client Services Framework and delete the xml file (which is only a few KB) then it runs fine. As soon as the transcript starts to fill up again from regular chat sessions the CPU usage takes off and the whole app slows to a crawl. I tried it on a 32bit build of Windows 7 and it runs fine no matter how long the conversation gets.

Since Win 7 x64 is supported Cisco Developers have tested it on the platform. I still think this is anthoer process is leading the issue (could be a windows process or update as well). You can test with trial & error method by starting the PC with only essential windows service to check if it is possible to narrow down the issue (specially you can start with any anit-virus/firewall that is installed). Also you can look for "exception" in the CUPC problem report (in detailed level) to check for any pointers

If you are having this on multiple machine even with barebone service you might want to open a tac case to have the issue looked at, as this is not a confiuration issue.

Thanks

I was seeing this issue on 2 machines at first and they were both 64bit but the were also both tablet PCs (which I didn't even consider as a possible cause for this issue) but after installing the client on a 3rd non tablet 64bit win 7 machine it worked fine. So I started doing some poking around it the CUPC 8 looks like it is written in .NET using the WPF for graphics presenation. I found a couple posts on the dev sites and they talked about slowness with lists box and tablet input enabled; sure enough as soon as I disabled all the tablet input compnents it worked fine.

Quite an odd problem huh.

We are also having the same issue with Windows 7 - 64 bit Tablet PCs.  We were able to get rid of the lag by uninstalling the Windows 7 Tablet PC components.  This is unfortunate, hopefully they come out with a fix soon.  We have a good deal of users with Tablets - however, a user with a Windows 7 - 32 bit Tablet has no issues.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: