cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC Soft Phone Mode

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

I have a lab enviroment that I have installed UCM 7 UC 7 and CUP 7...all seems to be working fine but I can't change the phone mode to Soft Phone. The server health shows Soft Phone grayed out and Not in Service. I have added the device with the same ext. as a Cisco Unified Personal Communicator device and the Device name is UPCJOEHARBISON ...user is associated with device and all user id / device are associated with the device. Desktop control works fine. Device in CCM never shows registered (don't know if should). I have found many documents that have said the device name is UPC<User ID> but some say 12 digits some say 9...some say to allow CTI some say to not...could this be a sip issue if all other items such as line state are working? Any help would be appreciated...I am getting frustrated...

Thanks,

Joe

23 Replies 23

Yes,

I have created an inbound and outbound acl for 'all' ...I have no problem with the desktop phone controll, I simply can't get the soft phone to be available...don't know if this is a licence issue or what..as I have said the device licences used for this are applied and the capabilities of the user are set...but in the log file I get a message that states soft phone = no ...this is a lab box so no acutal licence files have been applied...I would think that was the issue except that all other functions work.

Thanks,

Joe

HI Joe, you ever find the resolution to this issue? I'm running into the same issue...Thx!

No, I pretty much dropped it. I have not worked with the presence feature in some time. We have current installation that will be implementing presence. this will not be a vm installation so I hope to have better luck.

Thanks,

Joe

Some info regarding CUPC softphone mode:

1) You have to follow naming convention, which means the device name in CUCM has to be UPCUSERID. If your USERID contains special characters or longer than 12 characters, it might or might not work depending on CUPS version.

2) You don't have to associate this device to end user. Though it won't do any harm.

3) DN configured on softphone as to match the "Primary Extension" configured in CUCM > User Management > End User page.

Hope this help.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Thanks Michael, thats my problem for sure!!!!

Hi Michael -

What the UPC name is longer than 12 characters or 15 total?  Can I simply use the first 12 and it will or?  It will be CUPS 7.05

Thanks much!

Yes, you can simply use the first 12 characters.

BTW, on CUPC 8, there's no requirement that the device name has to contain user ID.  The relationship was established by CUCM device association on end user page.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Thanks Michael!  Thats what I thought, just wanted to double check.

Nice to see in 8.0 to see it associated to the username.

Cheers! (great q&a also)

Hi joe,

have you found a solution to this issue? I have the exact same issue and I think configuration is ok (UPCuserID, primary extension, the tftp file is loaded and OK but on the CallManager it is showing unknown as a status and as an ip address)

Regards

Omar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: