Helpful
Replies

CUPC – Unable to go into deskphone control mode and unable to chat

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

Home Lab – learning Presence

CUCM 9

CUPS 9 (not 8.6 as virtually all of the help and discussion forums, documents, etc are for)

CUPC 8.6 (3 copies running on 3 different laptops)

4 users configured in CUCM for Presence capabilities

No LDAP integration

Current status:

Presence indicators for phones works fine, no issues

3 users can log into their CUPC clients and Presence information from their own associated deskphone displays correctly (ie if User 1 takes his deskphone offhook, the CUPC for User 1 shows as “On the Phone”

Users can place phone calls with each other by typing the DN in the “Search for name or number” field

I have two different issues that I have not been able to solve all day – they may be related to each other.

The first issue:  I am unable to go into deskphone mode.  Although the checkbox is visible – it appears to be greyed out and clicking in it does nothing.

The second issue:  I am unable to start a chat session.  I highlite a contact (that I manually entered), right click, and select chat.  I get an error message that says “Failed to start conversation.  Invalid parameter”

I have scoured the Cisco site for docs and most of them pertain to CUPS 8.6 and not 9.  There is a difference in that v9 does not have the Application -> IP Phone Messenger selection.

My current configs:

CUCM

4 application users – CUPS-AXL (with Stand CCM SuperUsers permissions), CUPS-Deskphone, CUPS-CTIGW, and CUPS-PhoneMSG (all with Standard CTI Allow control of all devices).

3 end users – From top to bottom, all users have passwords and digest credentials.  Under Service Settings, all users have the “Enable user for Unified CM IM and Presence” checked.  This is the replacement for the assigning license capabilities from version 8.6.  Also under Service Settings, all users have a UC Service Profile assigned.  The UC Service Profile has two UC service settings – a Presence and IM Profile and a CTI Profile.  Under Device Information – all user have been associated to two different devices (their hardphone and the CUPC client).  Under the Directory Number Association portion – each user has their own primary line selected from the drop down box.  Under the Permissions Information section - each user has Standard CCM End Users and Standard CTI Enabled permissions.

Devices – each user has a 7960 hard phone and a CUPC.  For each device (both types) at the Device Level -> Owner User ID, Protocol Specific Information -> BLF Presence Group, SUBSCRIBE CSS are all set.  Under the line for each device (both types) – Allow control of device from CTI is checked, in the Associated Devices window is the MAC and UPC<name> of the devices, Under Users Associated with Line is the correct user

Under System –> Application Server,  the CUP server is configured.

Under System -> Licensing, all users and devices are licensed.  There is no Capabilities Assignment in version 9

CUPS

Under Diagnostics -> System Troubleshooter -> all green except for the things not configured, LDAP, 3rd party, etc

User Management -> End User -> are licensed for IM and Presence and have Microsoft RCC enabled.  They also show 2 devices

Under Application – this is where its different from v8 to v9.

Application -> Legacy Clients -> Settings.  I have set the TFTP server IP to the CUCM

Application -> Legacy Clients -> CCMCIP Profile.  I created a new profile, set the Primary and Secondary CCMCIP Host to be the IP Address of the CUCM Publisher.  For Server Certification Verfication, I selected Any Certificate from the drop down.  I assigned this profile to all 4 of my users.

Application -> Microsoft RCC settings.  Application status = on.  For Application Username and password, I have tried using CUPS-Deskphone and CUPS-CTIGW with their appropriate passwords.  There is not difference in using either one of them.  CUCM address is address of my Pub.  I assigned this Microsoft RCC service to all 4 of my users.

So, as I said, I have been working on this all day today burning my fingers and my mouse up on Google.  To no avail.

Any ideas anyone?

Jeff

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all, both IP Phone Messenger (deprecated) and Microsoft RCC are totally irrelevent to your config; CUPC doesn't use either of them.

• What does your CTI service have for server details? CUCM?
  • What does the server health look like in CUPC?
  • What does the CUPC core log show for errors during startup/login?

As for adding contacts: what are you doing for a directory source? CUPC didn't support UDS so you must be binding to Active Directory I presume? Are you using BDI or EDI?

The client must be able to assemble an XMPP URI based on fields returned from the directory source. For MS AD, this is the sAMAccountName@<presencedomain> by default. If it can't find a match then you won't be able to IM that person or add them as a contact.

Gentlemen -

Im currently at work and away from the lab so I will try to answer as best I can.

Amit - you asked about LDAP.  I am not using any form of Active Directory / LDAP (see original post)

Jonathan -  I may be trying to make CUCP do something that it cannot do.  I have manually created a contact and have entered a directory number for the contact.  Im able to double click that contact to place calls using CUPC.  I have attempted to modify the contact information to enter the IM address but that option is greyed out - Im not able to manually configured the IM address of the contact - therefore, Im not able to initiate any chat sessions.

Server health is all green for all services configured (no 3rd party database, LDP, authenctication, etc)

So, am I simply trying to make CUPC do something that it cannot do?

And if that is true, that still does not solve my inability to control the deskphone.

Jeff

Update –

Well, I finally bit the bullet and stood up a MS AD domain in my lab.

I integrated CUCM into the LDAP and imported the users from LDAP

I also stood up a DNS server.

I reconfigured CUPS to the new domain, joined all of the endpoint laptops to the domain, and retested.

Same place as I was before with the deskphone mode – however, my ability to IM is fixed (as was expected).

Using CUPS, I am not able to go into deskphone control mode.  The option box is still greyed out.

However, I installed Jabber for Windows on the same laptops.

In Jabber, I am able to select the option at the bottom of the window to use my deskphone for calls, and then I can move it back to the Jabber client.

So, anyone have any ideas why CUPC refuses to let me go into deskphone control mode?

All features and functions of the JFW work great.  No problems.

Jeff

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you share the CTI manager detailed logs for this one from the call manager server?

Also are you able to telnet to the port 2748 from the client PC.