I have deployed CUPS 7.0.4 with CUCM 7.0.3 and all is ok, except the status does not change for a user when a meeting is scheduled.
I have carried out the following,
Created the account, delegated view only administrator and added receive as permission
Uploaded all the Certificates in the chain
Set up the outlook gateway in CUPS, using the correct name for the presence gateway, CN from the certificate
Ticked the show me in a meeting box for a user in CUPC
Yet the status does not change. DNS is enabled and the correct domain is set on the CUPS. Form based authentication is also disabled.
I have tried putting the domain in front of the cups account, no joy
I can use the service account to access the end users mailbox so I don't think it's a permission issue.
From the log I can't see the cupc trying to retrieve calendar information.
Any help would be appreciated.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Could you try the following?
1) Set "Presence Engine" trace level to "debug"
2) Restart "Presence Engine"
3) Restart CUPC and make sure the status goes to "Available"
4) Collect "Presence Engine" logs from 5 minutes prior you restarted the engine to the point when CUPC went to "Available".
I saw the Outlook Gateway initialized (smtp.imesgroup.com), but I didn't see any request from CUPC for calendar information.
Could you go to CUPC > File > Preferences > Status, see if "Show me as In-a-meeting" option was enabled?
If it was, please re-do the test (restart Presence Engine, restart CUPC). Make sure you use a larger time frame to collect traces (-/+ 15 minutes). So we can capture all the logs.
I can confirm that the tick box is checked on the cupc. I carried out the test again and have the logs for about 20 mins before hand to 15 mins after.
Please find attached the logs.
Still the same, no request from end user.
1) Go to CUPS > Presence > Gateways. Delete and recreate the Outlook Gateway.
2) Go to CUPC > File > Preferences > Status. Uncheck/check the "Show me as in-a-meeting".
3) Restart Presence Engine and Restart CUPC. Write down the time of the engine restart.
4) Wait until CUPC goes to 'Available'. Collect Presence Engine logs.
5) Give me the time the engine restart and the time CUPC went to 'Available'
I deleted and re-created the Gateway, unchecked then checked the tick box on the cupc.
Presence engine restarted at 10:37:01, back up at 10:37:50, singned into CUPC at 10:39:32, status changed to available at 10:39:48.
Please find attached the log.
Thats the problem fixed, I changed the name to all lowercase and rebooted the box and it's now working.
Many thanks for your assistance with this.