Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS 7, CUCM 6, without SIP PUBLISH Trunk

So I don't know if this is design issue or my own lack of knowledge and configuration expertise.

I am trying to connect two seperate (i.e. not clustered) CUP Servers to 1 CUCM cluster.  I need to do this because I need to enable calendar integration to different Exchange domains for different users.

We have had one CUPS up and running, with calendar integration, for one group for about 6 months.  This was originally setup with a SIP PUBLISH Trunk.  (It was also setup by a contractor, so I am not intimately familiar with everything that was doen to get that one working.)  I understand that a CUCM cluster will only support 1 SIP PUBLISH Trunk.  Therefore, when it came time to bring up the second CUPS, I set the SIP PUBLISH Enterprise Parameter within CUCM to <NONE> and I unchecked the 'Use SIP PUBLISH Trunk' on the CUPS Settings page.  Not only did this not break our existing CUPC users, it cleared up some problems we were having with users' status either not updating or changing without cause.

However, with the new server up, I cannot log into Presence from the CUPC.  Everything else comes up fine, but it just cycles between "Connecting..." and "Disconnected" for the Presence status under Show Server Health...  Client logs don't show me anything useful.  When I sniff the traffic on the new CUPS, I see the CUPS send a SIP OPTIONS method to the CUCM, and CUCM reply with a 200 OK message that includes the list of acceptable SIP Methods (which does not include PUBLISH), but that is the only SIP traffic I see.  I see no SIP PUBLISH going to/from the CUPC, no SIP SUBSCRIBE going to the CUCM.  I can see both of these on the traffic on the first CUPS.

So I don't know if I am just missing something in the Presence configuration or if I'm trying to do something that the software just will not allow me to do.  I have engaged my Cisco Sales Team and they are supposedly getting the technical people together to work this out, but I haven't heard anything for a couple days and I'm starting to worry about this deployment.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

CUPC presence (more accurately, should be referred as "status") has nothing to do with SIP trunk.  It's totally between CUPC and CUPS.

If CUPC not able to connect to 'presence' (from 'show server health), there could be couple reasons:

1) Digest Credential configuration on CUCM end user.  (can be bypassed by ACL)

2) Presence address (hostname of CUPS + SIP domain) has to be resolvable from client side.

3) Firewall/network issue.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'll take a stab at this.

In the SIP trunk to/from the CUPS server, what settings do you have?

If the destination IP address is in there of the CUPS server, it should work.  Also check to verify the Destination port is 5060 (CUPS 7.x uses 5060, )

Im not sure with the model you have it will work with two separate CUPS server.  I think its a one to one model.  Hence the blurb about Publish information in CUCM to the one CUPS cluster.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Unified_Presence%2C_Release_7.x_--_How_to_Configure_the_SIP_Trunk_on_Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager#How_to_Configure_the_SIP_Trunk_on_Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager

And I believe, if Im not mistaken, its a one to one Exchange server to Presence Server Cluster configuration.

I see what you are trying to do with

- one CUCM cluster

- (2) separate CUPS server

- (2) Separate AD Forest.

You will also run into another issue if you syncing LDAP with CUCM.  CUCM can only authenticate users from a single forest.  You may be able to *SYNC* multiple LDAP directories from different forest, but you can only authenticate to one forest in the domain.   So back to the the other issue you may have bigger issues with the LDAP piece of the puzzle for this all to work.

But whats odd is that you said you could login.  So I then have to assume that you are one forest/one domain.??     Which in that case, you would have a single Exchange Org with multiple servers.  

Maybe a little more info, we can try and help

I am not synching LDAP on CUPS with the CUCM at all.  I am using the AD server as the LDAP reference.  This works as long as the AD username and the CUCM username match (including case-sensitivity, which is a little odd).  And there is no synchronization between CUCM and any AD tree.  It's all manual.  Luckily, none of our memebers have much turnover.

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

CUPC presence (more accurately, should be referred as "status") has nothing to do with SIP trunk.  It's totally between CUPC and CUPS.

If CUPC not able to connect to 'presence' (from 'show server health), there could be couple reasons:

1) Digest Credential configuration on CUCM end user.  (can be bypassed by ACL)

2) Presence address (hostname of CUPS + SIP domain) has to be resolvable from client side.

3) Firewall/network issue.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Michael, you are my new favorite person.  You were right; My problem wasn't SIP connectivity between CUPS and CUCM, but basic connectivity between CUPC and CUPS.  I am testing this in a different DNS domain than the users, and I initially defined the CUPS on our DNS server.  I was able to login, because I specificed just the CUPS name in the login screen, which was looked up under my default domain.  However, the Presence Service on CUPC uses the domain specified in the configuration it received from CUPS, which included the fully qualified domain name.  Once I registered the CUPS name and address in their DNS server, I was able to connect with the Presence Service.

I can see phone status now.  However, Exchange Free/Busy information is still eluding me, even though everything is reporting as connected.  I suspect it's a permissions issue on the Exchange server.

Thank you so much, Michael!

Chris

Nice job!  Sometimes I will take a look at the logging on CUPC.. and if I see a DNS name I cant resolve, I will add it to the host table and then try CUPC again.  Usually this will tell me if its a DNS issue as well.  Then I go bother the AD DNS admin to add the entries in for lookup.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: