Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS 8.6 DB replication issue after rebuild/recovery Publisher

fei he
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All

We have recently ran into CUPS publisher reinstall and restore DB from subscriber due to crashed HDD.

I have followed instruction from doc for restore procedure and pub is restore successful.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_0/english/disaster_recovery/administration/guide/drsag601.html#wp241460

In terms of dbreplication, we ran into below:

Pub:

*************************************************************************************************

Cluster Replication State: Replication status command started at: 2013-08-20-15-36

There no active nodes in the replication network

DB Version: ccm8_6_3_10000_20

Number of replicated tables: 0

Cluster Detailed View from PUB (2 Servers):

PING            REPLICATION     REPL.   DBver&  REPL.   REPLICATION SETUP

SERVER-NAME     IP ADDRESS      (msec)  RPC?    STATUS          QUEUE   TABLES  LOOP?   (RTMT) & details

-----------     ------------    ------  ----    -----------     -----   ------- -----   -----------------

POL-CUPS1       10.10.35.37     0.027   Yes     Off-Line        N/A     match   N/A     (0) PUB Setup Completed

PIB-CUPS1       10.2.35.37      1.02    Yes     Off-Line        N/A     269     No      (3) Not Setup

***************************************************************************************************

Sub:

*************************************************************************************************

DB and Replication Services: ALL RUNNING

Cluster Replication State: Only available on the PUB

DB Version: ccm8_6_3_10000_20

Number of replicated tables: 269

Cluster Detailed View from SUB (2 Servers):

PING            REPLICATION     REPL.   DBver&  REPL.   REPLICATION SETUP

SERVER-NAME     IP ADDRESS      (msec)  RPC?    STATUS          QUEUE   TABLES  LOOP?   (RTMT)

-----------     ------------    ------  ----    -----------     -----   ------- -----   -----------------

POL-CUPS1       10.10.35.37     1.01    Yes     Active-Dropped  1483407         0       No      (0)

PIB-CUPS1       10.2.35.37      0.024   Yes     Connected       0       match   Yes     (3)

2 question stands:

1. whether we use correct procedure to restore Pub, refere to doc above.

2. if the restore procedure is correct, how do you rectify dbreplication here.

Regards

Fei

4 Replies 4

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fei,

Judging by the document you referred to, it looks like you did the following steps:

1> Rebuilt the Pub with the same hostname, IP address, Subnet, CUPS version, etc.

2> Did a DRS Restore using the most recent backup file that had been taken prior to the Publisher going down.

3> Landed up with the dbreplication broken.

Also, check to make sure that the cmhosts, rhosts and sqlhosts tables have the correct entries.

Question: Did you do a cluster reboot after the restore? If not, please go ahead and do so.

If the above is correct, then you can proceed with the following steps (in order and one at a time) to correct the issue:

1> "utils dbreplication stop" from Subscriber

2> "utils dbreplication stop" from Publisher

3> "utils dbreplication dropadmindb" from Publisher

4> "utils dbreplication dropadmindb" from Subscriber

5> "utils dbreplication reset all" from Publisher

6> Monitor the progress through "utils dbreplication runtimestate" from Publisher to see how far along the replication setup has gotten.

From the outputs, it seems like the syscdr DB is not getting formed correctly which is why the Pub shows offline. Once the Pub does a cdr define and realizes the db template, the Sub will do a cdr define, realize the template and do a cdr sync. Also, please refer to the following docs:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/ip-telephony/blog/2012/10/26/understanding-cucm-dbreplication-runtimestate

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13672

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Hi Harmit

You are correct, we rebuild CUPS Pub with correct all info but in terms of restore, the most recent backup files are 3 month old.

Unified CUP Rhosts
ErrorThe rhosts file on 10.2.35.37 does not match the publisher.
CollapseView Details
Serverrhosts File
localhost
POL-CUPS1.org.local
localhost
POL-UCM1
POL-CUPS1.org.local
PIB-CUPS1.org.local
PIB-UCM1

Unified CUP Sqlhosts
ErrorThe sqlhosts file on 10.2.35.37 does not match the publisher.
CollapseView Details
Serversqlhosts File
g_hdr     group     -     -     i=1
g_pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     group     -     -     i=2
pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     onsoctcp     10.10.35.37     pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     g=g_pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20 b=32767,rto=900
g_hdr     group     -     -     i=1
g_pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     group     -     -     i=2
pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     onsoctcp     10.10.35.37     pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     g=g_pol_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20 b=32767,rto=900
g_pib_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     group     -     -     i=3
pib_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     onsoctcp     10.2.35.37     pib_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20     g=g_pib_cups1_ccm8_6_3_10000_20 b=32767,rto=900

As you can see, only rhosts and sqlhosts show error - does not match publisher.

CUP hosts have equivalent host files.

We have not schedule whole cluster reboot after restore but we do have Pub reboot afterwards.

If whole cluster reboot is suggested, what order should we take? reboot Pub then Sub? 

Regards

Fei

Hi Harmit

the DB replication still incorrect after reboot cluster and issue commands as you suggested. I have engaged TAC, TAC advised the restore process we took does not realy work.

most likely we need to rebuild CUPS again and TAC will assist on restore procedure.

but really appreciated the reading provied, it helps a lot.

Regards

Fei

Hi Fei,

Thank you for the update, just saw both your responses. I'm surprised with what TAC had to say about the DRS restore process. Given the fact that you said you have a DRS backup taken from the Pub (quite sometime ago), that backup should be and can be restored onto the Pub. It's possible that I may have misunderstood and they saw something which suggested it isn't possible. Having access and taking a look first hand is always more reassuring when suggesting next steps for dbreplication :-) I'm glad my explanation and links came in handy for you. Good luck with the rebuild.

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: