cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS, Jabber for Everyone....Avaya???

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

We have a customer asking if Jabber for Everyone can be used with their Avaya phone system.

The documents don't really talk about this.  Avaya's own presence solution  uses XMPP and Jabber. 

Is there any way to hook Cisco Presence (Jabber for Everyone, or some other flavor of it) to an Avaya phone system? 

- Cliff                  

6 Replies 6

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

On the Cisco documentation is saying that for you use Jabber for everyone you have to meet this requirements:

Software requirements

Cisco Unified Communications Manager

" Jabber for Everyone" is supported with the following releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager:

• Release 7.1(2)
  • Release 7.1(3)
  • Release 7.1(5)
  • Release 8.0(1)
  • Release 8.0(3)
  • Release 8.5(1)
  • Release 8.6(1)
  • Release 8.6(2)

Cisco Unified Presence

Jabber for Everyone" is supported with Cisco Unified Presence Release 8.6(4) and later

Cisco Jabber Client

See the relevant Cisco Jabber client documentation for software requirements.

Take a look on this doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/jabber_for_everyone/CUP0_BK_JE526021_00_jabber-for-everyone-solution-overview_chapter_01.html

I dont think is compatible because is not saying nothing in the documentation.

Rate this if helps you.

Thanks

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Yeah, I already had that part.

The thing is Avaya uses Jabber and XMPP for their presense client.  I get the feeling there is probably a way to get this to work, but I'm not sure how.

-Cliff

Negative,

The COP file that enables Jabber for Everyone has to be installed on the CUCM server(s), it is not installed on the Presence server. The CUCM is a requirement.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Cliff,

Hope all is well my friend

+5 to both Tony and leonardo here for their excellent additions!

"Jabber for Everyone" does not extend to Cisco's competitors

like Avaya. The Jabber portion in Avaya was used before Cisco purchased

Jabber;

http://blogs.cisco.com/collaboration/50-million-cisco-ip-phones-and-jabber-instant-messaging-im-for-everyone/

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

Hi Rob!

I expected that Jabber for Everyone wasn't going to fit.  But what about the "non free" versions?  Since Avaya does XMPP and so does CUPS, it would seem that it *could* work.  I would suspect it might need some additional tweak, but just really need this run to ground.

I don't have a stake in the final answer (which I suspect is no, it isn't supported), but I just need to get there, and then they will ask if I know if it might be road mapped.

Any thoughs?

So they're running the old Jabber installation (before Cisco bought them) independent of Cisco Unified Presence and requesting to know if they can install CUP and integrate that with Avaya? I believe the answer is still no unfortunately. All of the user licensing for Unified Presence is handled by CUCM. The only licensing that's installed on CUP is the server license itself to kill the trial period license.