cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUWL Best Practice (Managing)

David Undernehr
Level 1
Level 1

Recently we have upgraded from 4.1.3 to CUCM 7.1.3(a) and also migrated from DLU to CUWL. We purchased 650 Standard Users, 100 Pro Users, and 100 public/analog. My question is how do we manage/differentiate between Standard vs. Pro users in CUCM. I understand the difference between the two but I am confused on how to manage them going forward. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

David,

With CUCM 6x/7x the CUCM license service is not CUWL-aware.  Meaning, it is still operating on the DLU model.  So, there is no way to manage this through the CUCM.  With these versions you need to track the CUWL assignment using an internal process.  Or you could try to come up with a way to add a "self documenting" config in CUCM.  Such as creating custom User Groups like "CUWL-Std-User" and assign those to user IDs as you add them to the system (or retro-assign to existing).  Then you can use dependency records or SQL query to dump members of the particular CUWL group.  Most likely that won't map out well for you, particular with CUWL-entry (i.e. analog devices).  But it just a thought.

I have tracked this with spreadsheets in the past.  Annoying, but when left with little option you make do.

Now, with 8.x I am not sure if the licensing model for CUWL is enforced (i.e. the CUCM is CUWL-aware).  I thought that this was a feature for the 8.5 release but I may be mistaken.  Maybe someone in this forum can provide the roadmap with a little more precision.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

David,

With CUCM 6x/7x the CUCM license service is not CUWL-aware.  Meaning, it is still operating on the DLU model.  So, there is no way to manage this through the CUCM.  With these versions you need to track the CUWL assignment using an internal process.  Or you could try to come up with a way to add a "self documenting" config in CUCM.  Such as creating custom User Groups like "CUWL-Std-User" and assign those to user IDs as you add them to the system (or retro-assign to existing).  Then you can use dependency records or SQL query to dump members of the particular CUWL group.  Most likely that won't map out well for you, particular with CUWL-entry (i.e. analog devices).  But it just a thought.

I have tracked this with spreadsheets in the past.  Annoying, but when left with little option you make do.

Now, with 8.x I am not sure if the licensing model for CUWL is enforced (i.e. the CUCM is CUWL-aware).  I thought that this was a feature for the 8.5 release but I may be mistaken.  Maybe someone in this forum can provide the roadmap with a little more precision.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

To expand on what Bill said...on the current versions of CUCM, things operate mostly on the honor system even though you purchased CUWL.  I don't remember the exact ratios but essentially when you install the CUWL license on the CUCM, it converts to DLU's based on the level of CUWL.  For example, 1 Pro User = 14 DLU, 1 Std User = 11 DLU, and etc.  Again, my numbers may not be exact but that's essentially why the licensing looks the way it does within CUCM.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!