Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Migration Assistant 7.1.2 -> 7.1.3

sergiope
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on a project that involves an upgrade for a Call Manager server version 4.1.3 to CUCM 7.1.3a.

I ran the Data Migration Assistant, but unfortunately, since I didn't had the proper information at the time, I got the DMA File for version 7.1.2.

My question is: Is there any possible way to somehow "translate" the DMA file I got on version 7.1.2 to 7.1.3a???, if not, what other option do I have besides running the DMA tool on the old server again (this server is in production, so it is kind of complicated to restart it after the DMA tool installation)???.

Any help is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sergio,

This is just my opinion here

Because the DMA process is so key to the overall migration, I

would start over with the DMA 7.1(3) version. The pain of

scheduling another "maintenance window" to re-run DMA may

be well worth it vs the pain of an unsuccessful upgrade. You may want

to open a TAC case to verifiy the data integrity if you don't start over.

The release notes for DMA do indicate these notes related to the

"Major" CUCM version requirement;

Use this document if you are running supported versions of Cisco Unified CallManager and are ready to upgrade to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1(1x). The DMA version number that you use must match the major version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager. [For example, if you were upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.0(1a), you could use DMA Release 7.0(1) or DMA Release 7.0(1a).]

Tip If you have installed an (a), (b), (c), (and so on), version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you only need to match the DMA major version number. For example, if you had Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1b), you could use DMA Release 6.1(1a).

So it depends on what is considered a "Major" version here.

The other things to consider here, are the Bug caveats fixed in DMA 7.1(3);

Caveats That Are Resolved in Data Migration Assistant 7.1(3)

This section contains a partial list of the defects that are resolved in this release of Data Migration Assistant. You can obtain a full list by reviewing and implementing the information in "Using Bug Toolkit" section

•CSCsy07560 DMA does not migrate ICD Extension.

•CSCtb25098 Optimize DMA 6.1(4) icd extension check code.

•CSCsz63731 Replication failure occurred in 4.x after DMA failed export.

•CSCsz17031 CSCsk55905 fix needed for DMA 6.1.4 and DMA 7.1.2 DMA.

Release Notes for Data Migration Assistant Release 7.1(3)

http://www.ciscosystems.am/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_1_3/dma-rel_note-713.html

If you do decide to remove the DMA 7.1(2) version, here are the steps;

Removing DMA

You must remove DMA and the applications that are installed with it before installing another DMA version. See the following sections for instructions:

•"Stopping DMA" section

•"Uninstalling DMA" task

Note To uninstall previous versions of DMA, refer to uninstall instructions in the guide for that release. This section applies only to uninstalling DMA 7.1(2).
Stopping DMA

Ensure that DMA is not running on your system. DMA, a server application that is controlled through a browser interface, can continue to run after you close the browser. To verify that you have stopped DMA, perform the following procedure:

Procedure

Step 1 Choose Start > Programs > Cisco Data Migration Assistant> Cisco DMA.

Step 2 When prompted, log in as the Windows Administrator.

The Security Alert window displays. To continue running DMA, you must click Yes.

The Data Migration Assistant Home window displays.

Step 3 If you are running DMA on a secure server, the Warning - Security window displays. It asks whether you want to accept a certificate from the secure server to exchange encrypted information.

To continue running DMA, you must click either Yes or Always. If you click Always, this window will not display again when you access this server.

The Data Migration Assistant Home window displays.

Step 4 From the Data Migration Assistant menu bar, choose Export > Export Data.

The Export Data window displays.

Step 5 Click the View Status link.

Step 6 Review the status to determine whether the last execution completed.

If you are not sure whether the DMA process completed, you can cancel the DMA operation by choosing Start > Programs > Cisco DMA > Cancel Export. The system could require several minutes to cancel the export process.

Step 7 Continue the DMA removal, as described in the "Uninstalling DMA" section.
Uninstalling DMA

Note To uninstall previous versions of DMA, refer to uninstall instructions in the guide for that release. This section applies only to uninstalling DMA 7.1(2).

To uninstall DMA, follow these steps:

Procedure

Step 1 Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

Step 2 From the Add/Remove Programs Window, choose Cisco Data Migration Assistant.

Step 3 Click Remove.

Step 4 Choose Yes to uninstall.

Step 5 Make sure that a restart of the server is possible and choose Yes to restart the server.

Note If you use Virtual Network Computing (VNC) to access your server, you may want to remotely restart the server by choosing No and restarting the server by using the VNC facility that sends Ctrl-Alt-Delete to the server.

http://www1.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_1_2/dmaug712.html#wp42151

Hope this helps!

Rob

sorry rob!  I tried to click 5 starts, but it somehow hit 4 stars...  my bad!

But Rob is correct... you will need to re-install the correct DMA version on your 4.x publisher,reboot, and then run DMA again.    You can not use DMA 7.12 for a 7.13 install.  The databases are slightly different.

Probably need to schedule another window, uninstall 7.12, then reboot.   Install 7.13 DMA, reboot.  Then finally run the DMA for 7.13.

Your other option here is to boot off a 7.1 disc and use your current DMA TAR file.  Then afterwards, upgrade to 7.13x.  You can use *PRE* 7.13 boot disc and then apply the 7.12 release as you load the publisher.

If it was me, id probably do the DMA again.  Its not that bad.  I run it remotely for my clients at night.   Pop the TV on, and watch the pretty progress bars and screen refreshes

cheers!

Hey Tommer,

No worries my friend, I did the same thing the other day

I really like your approach here (+5 points) for this "real world" experience!

It seems like you have had to do many of these so your input is very valuable

Cheers!

Huff

PS: Loved the TV analogy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: