Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dbwalker 4.0 (35) hangs

Unity 4.0.5

Dbwalker starts , display 2 squares in the progress bar and then hangs.

The log file stops with

*** Starting General System Checks ***

Primary server name found='USSMWUNITYVM1'

<span style='co

Any idea what could be causing this and how to get around it?

Thanks

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: dbwalker 4.0 (35) hangs

Hmmm... not right off hand. Can you run dbWalker with the command line option "/debug"? This will force it to flush the log file for every line written to the log - it runs much slower, of course, but it'll be sure to get the last thing it got done in there so I can narrow down the options a bit...

This is the end of the log when running dbwalker.exe /debug

*** Starting General System Checks ***

Primary server name found='USSMWUNITYVM1'

Checking LastModifiedTime column for all entries in the Configuration table

*** Starting subscriber walk ***

The process still uses about 40% of CPU on a dual processor system so it just seems that it is stuck in a loop rather than just crashed.

Cisco Employee

Hmmm - that's not good news. There's nothing in that particular piece of code that would cause this from the code side of things (i.e. it's likely a DB issue). All that's happening there is it's opening a recordset using "SELECT * FROM vw_Subscriber ORDER BY Alias" and iterating through the entire recordset one at a time - you'd see logging in there for each entry, of course - there's just nowhere in code for it to get stuck in a loop. It could throw errors if some really nasty values were in the records itself (i.e. missing ObjectID value or something) but nothing that would cause it to loop and not log anything like that.

Can't really speculate more without actually seeing the DB and being able to walk in debug to see where it's jumping around...

So what's your recommandation?

I can email you a DIRT backup or give you terminal access if you'd like.

Or should I deal with TAC directly on this issue.

Thanks

Cisco Employee

best to open a TAC case on this one - certainly getting a DiRT backup in house (without messages) would be helpful...

The problem seems related to the remoteaddress field and the subscribertype not matching.

We made sure that subscriber type 1 had a remote address set to NULL and type 2 had a correct SMTP string.

After that , dbwalker worked fine and was able to complete its tests.

Cisco Employee

Hmmm... interesting - I don't see any way for the code itself to get into a loop on that condition - maybe the view code under the covers is having a problem - I'll check when I get a chance.

Presumably the remote address stuff was more fallout from that 3rd party migration tool? Or something else?

The targetaddress field was used by the quest exchange migration tool we were using.

DbWalker did report correctly on cases where the target address was NULL and the type was set to 2 so I'm guessing the problem was caused when a target address was set and the type was 1.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content