cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleted user in Unity Connection still has messages and is calling old user's mobile phone

dtmori
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

It seems I  have an odd situation.

I have an employee that has left the company.   During the time they were employed they had forwarded all of their calls  to their mobile phone while they were away. As such, it is likely that  their mobile phone number was stored somewhere on the system.

Since they  left the company we had removed them from LDAP (Unified Comm is  connected to our LDAP for user accounts).  We have also checked and they  are removed from Unified Comm accounts as well as the Unity Connections  Admin pages.  However this user still seems to have messages in their  mailbox and each day our former employee gets calls on her mobile  telling her to clear her messages.

With no account on Unified Comm,  Unity Connections, or in LDAP, I am at a loss as to where to look next  to try to clear the messages.

Any help, or ideas as to where to look next  would be appreciated.

For your reference I have:

• Unity  Connections version 2.1.0.9901-362
  • Unified Comm Call Manger  version  6.1.1.3000-2
  • Platform Type7828H3
    Processor  Speed2133
    CPU TypeIntel(R) Xeon(R)  CPU            3050  @ 2.13GHz
    Memory6144  Mbytes
    Object ID1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.901
    OS  Versionoperatingsystem.UCOS3.0.0.0-56

Many  thanks,

Dan

**Repost from different forum as per direction of Cisco https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/40481#40481

15 Replies 15

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hmmm… not sure why the system would be calling to tell them to clear their messages – I’m assuming they had a message notification rule configured and it’s just calling to notify them of messages based on that rule.

Sounds like the user and/or their notification rules didn’t get removed when the subscriber was deleted – no idea why that would be – if they’re not showing up in the SA then the account must be hidden or there was an issue removing all related records (i.e. the notification rules weren’t removed) – which is kind of strange given the rather strict foreign key constraint model on the Connection database.  Anything’s possible.

I’d start by getting the database explorer setup on a Windows box and connecting to take a look – you can get it (along with the ODBC driver you’ll need) on its home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/CUDLI/CUDLI.html

(note, by default it only shows 100 rows for each table to keep the network fetches small – you can expand it to all rows in the options drop down menu).

Once you get that up I’d look in the vw_GlobalUser view for that person just to see if they’re there.

Then you can go look in the vw_NotificationDeviceConversation view.  The PhoneNumber field has the dial strings for all notification devices that use the phone (as opposed to a pager or an email or an SMS device for instance).  Alternatively you can use the Query Builder function (found under the view menu) and use a query like this:

select * from vw_NotificationDeviceConversation WHERE phonenumber like '%7777%'

where “7777” is a sub string in the dialout string you’re looking for (this avoids issues like commas and dial prefixes screwing up matches on an exact dial string).

That should at least hunt down where the call is coming from at any rate and maybe gives some clues as to what happened in the deletion process.

Thank you for your kind reply.

I am hoping to get more help connecting however.  I have downloaded the IBM Informix drivers as well as the CUDLI and have installed both.  I then logged into my web admin as user "radmin" (which has no mailbox). This user is a super user on all other services and in Unity Connections it is a Remote Administrator as well (as per the connection instructions).  I have turned on the DB proxy service and it is still running.

In the CUDLI I am trying to connect to the fully qualified domain name of my server on port 20532 using user "radmin" and the web password and I get the attached error.

I have gone through tons of google searches and did not really find anything useful.  I also went through the Cisco site and again it did not shed light on my connection issue.  Would you happen to have an idea of what I am doing wrong or what steps I missed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

-930 would normally mean the server name is not resolving properly (DNS issue perhaps) - that's not necessarily the case but the ODBC driver is being told the connect request is not being responded to.

Have you tried using the IP address and making sure you can ping it?

There could also be someting blocking the port (firewall?) between you and the Connection server.

Funny.  I can ping via fully qualified name and by IP.  Also since I was connected to the web interface at the same time (how I got the screen shots) I assumed that this was not an issue. However when I attempted connection via the IP it worked.

Thanks for that.

For your first point regarding searching for their name on vw_GlobalUser.  I cannot seem to find that table.  It is not in the table list.  Is it perhaps under another name or was it deprecated in my current version of Unity Connection?  Please know that I am connected to the database "UnityDirDB'.  I checked for this table in the other databases listed.  Am I in the wrong place?

On your second suggestion, I ran the query:

select * from vw_NotificationDeviceConversation WHERE phonenumber  like '%61%'

with no results.  Please note that 6 is my outbound number and 1 for the start of the area code.  I also ran a query using '%310%' where 310 is the area code of the person being called.  Again no results.

Any thoughts on next steps?

Again, many thanks.

Dan

Pulling the entire "vw_notificationdeviceconversation" table I cannot find any phonenumber entry. All rows show the field is null.

Any chance you're looking at the view and you have left the default of only showing the top 100 rows?  This is a common mistake... under the options menu you can select "show all data" which will force it to get all rows.

If not then you don't have anyone setup with a notification dialout on your system and you're barking up the wrong tree - it's not a notification device in Connection calling this person...

I am showing 445 rows in the table so I can confirm that no I am not limiting it to 100 rows.

Since this is the only phone system in our network and the caller ID is from our phone system using our outbound T1 trunk I am not sure what else it might be.

Thank you again for looking into this.  Any other ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hello,

I have exhausted all other possibilities. No other equipment is currently hooked up to our telephone lines.  Only the Cisco router that is dedicated to the phone system. And since this router is seperated from the nest of the network via VLAN it is also not likely that it is another application calling the employee.

While we proved that it was not Unity Connection, could it be possible that there is a phone on the network that still has programming for this ex employee and is set to forward all calls to that external number?  If the user then is receiving notification internally from the Unity Connection server, it is forwarding the call outbound.  Would that be worth checking and if so, would you know where to check that in Unified Comm?

Thanks again.

All we've proven is that it's not a phone based notification defice defined in the database - not sure we can absolve Connection entirely but I'm not sure what else it would be at this point.

Can you detail _exactly_ what the caller hears when they get the call?  Word for word is essential here since it would give us a clue as to what conversation is on the other end of this.  In your first post you noted that it's calling indicating they need to clear messages - there is no conversation in Connection that uses any terminology like that so I'm assuming this is a paraphrase - if you can get us exactly what it's saying when they pick up this would be helpful.

I am asking the ex employee to provide such detail from the calls.  I will post again here as soon as I have the information.

Best regards,

Dan

Hi

Here's what I would do:

1) Enable the CAR service on CCM.

2) Create a translation pattern for the ex-employee's number in your 'internal' route partition, or in the partition if that's how you have things, and translate it to your desk handset. Verify it works.

3) Wait for the call to arrive.

4) Search your call log in CAR, and see what source number/IP address etc it came from. This should clue you in some...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Very sorry but being a newbie to the whole wolrd of Cisco managed communictaions I am not sure how to perform these actions.

Could you perhaps provide me with some additional detail on where to find these services and perform the tasks mentioned?  Thanks.

Hi

Sure..

1) CAR - first try browsing to your CCM publisher at http://publisher-ip/car

You may get a log on screen.. if not you need to activate the service at http://publisher-ip/ccmservice, log in, go to Tools/Service Activation, then check the box next to CAR/CDR Access and Reporting. Hit Save...

You will also want to add your account or the CCMAdministrator account to the CAR Admin Users group in CCMAdmin (under the User Management menus) or you won't be able to log in to it.

2) Translation pattern - whatever is dialing the number will be dialing (presumably) the full PSTN number plus your external access digit (usually 9). So in CCMAdmin, go to Call Routing/Translation Patterns. Add a new pattern - in the Pattern field, type the full number including the 9 prefix. In 'Calling search space' select a CSS that includes your internal phones. In 'Called Party Transformation Mask' type your internal extension. Hit Save.

Now if you dial the number with the 9 prefix (obviously not from your own phone) your phone should ring.

3) When the call comes in, you can go to http://publisher-ip/car and log in using whichever account you added to the CAR Admin Users. THEre is a 'search by dn/extension number' option in one of the drop down menus. CAR can lag behind a little, so if you don't see the call yet wait a while for the CDR to be loaded..

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daniel,

Just to jump in with one other idea to add to the great tips from

Jeff and Aaron.

Lets say the DN that belonged to the employee was 4444, go to the Route Plan Report

and search > Unassigned DN's. Find 4444 and delete it here as well. Call Forward info

can be stored here even though the DN was removed from the phone/device.

Hope this helps!

Rob