cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting VM box doesn't get rid of Alias from Unity...

stevegustafson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is probably an easy one. Let's say user1 with extension 1111 and alias 1111 is let go from a company and user2 is hired in their place. user2 will have the same extension as user1 did. our standard is to make new VM boxes have the alias of the extension and not the users name. when I delete the VM box of user1 and try to create a new VM box and reuse 1111 as the alias, Unity throughs an error and says that the alias is already in use. why is this, and how can I reuse the alias?

Unity Version 4.0(5)

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are, indeed, on AD - Unity uses AD/Exchange in your case.

Unity does not delete users in AD/Exchange when you delete them from the SA - we only remove Unity properties from that object in AD. Unity is designed to play nice with the external directory and not blow away accounts when you remove them as a Unity subscriber.

You can do this through ADUC on the Unity server itself or use tools like BulkSubscriberDelete which offers the option of removing their AD/Exchange mailbox as well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To remove a VM account completely, do not do it from the SA page, remove it from AD. This will delete the exchange account (alias) and the VM account or properties tied to the Unity account.

Almost there, just change your admin procedure for cleaning out old accounts... us AD instead.

Thank you, but we are not on AD. This is a standalone Unity server with VM only. Any other suggestions?

Steve

You are, indeed, on AD - Unity uses AD/Exchange in your case.

Unity does not delete users in AD/Exchange when you delete them from the SA - we only remove Unity properties from that object in AD. Unity is designed to play nice with the external directory and not blow away accounts when you remove them as a Unity subscriber.

You can do this through ADUC on the Unity server itself or use tools like BulkSubscriberDelete which offers the option of removing their AD/Exchange mailbox as well.

I see that now. Thank you!!!

Steve