Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Details on Unity Failover Process

I understand that with Unity Failover configured in addition to UnityDB the following files are replicated between the Primary and Failover Unity serversLocalize\DefaultConfiguration, Localize\Prompts, Snapshot, Stream Files, Support, and UnityMTA. Are there any registration changes that are made on the secondary server to allow failover to work?

4 REPLIES

Re: Details on Unity Failover Process

In the Windows Registry? I don't think so. The failover use SQL replications and heartbeats to see if the partner server is online. If failover server can not contact the primary, it then starts up the Unity services and tells the primary server to transfer it's rolls to it. If contact is not made, failover still starts up. Its really only the SQL database and a few service triggers.

Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I was curious because I copied all of those files and the SQL Unity database using Double-Take to another Unity server (no failover configured) and the AVCSMGR service failed to start.So in theory unless there is something I am missing the other Unity server should be able to come online and service calls.

using a third party application to copy the database files is not supported by Cisco. You have to use the Failover Wizard configuration. It is setup to replicate all the information from one database to another and monitor the connection between the two. It's a live connection that you can watch in the failover monitor to see the data being replicated. Your double take probably did not work because it does not know about the Unity licensing.

I would stick with the Failover wizard and follow the Cisco guidelines for setting up a Unity Failover server.

hope this helps

Blue

there are no registry changes made manually.

simply run the Failover Wizard on the primary then the secondary server.

once completed, you can verify the failover status with the failover monitor. no further configuration required.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content