Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Pool Question

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Everyone

I'm setting up some device pools for my job because we are about to have our remote regions connect across the WAN to our CUCM SUB. Initally all the phones at my location were in the default DP and now that I created a DP for my location it's not working properly. I moved my phone to the DP and the phone will take incoming calls but when I touch the answer button it won't pickup so I have to touch it a second time and then the phone will pickup but as soon as it does the call drops. I tried to place an outgoing call and I get fast busy, but once I move the phone back to the default device pool it works fine. I can place a call to the phone and I can pick up the call on the first attempt and I can place outgoing calls. Any help on getting this issue resloved would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the help in advance.

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For an internal IP-IP call the codec should not matter as long as both the IP phones are capable of g729 or g711 codec ( which most of the IP phones are ). For a PSTN call , make sure that you have a g711 region setting between the device pool on the IP phone and the gateway / trunk. Additionally, check that the codec defined on the dial-peer level on the gateway is g711, else you will need to add transcoders to the MRGL of the IP phones and gateway.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Eric,

The fact that the call disconnects as soon as you pickup makes me thing its a codec mismatch issue. I would double the codec on the called and calling phones. What codec are you using and what kind of handsets are you using? Make sure you check you regions and locations to see what bandwidth is allocated between the locations and what the codecs are. Also, make sure you are checking this on internal phones. As far as why you cant dial out (I am going to assume PSTN), maybe the CSS is not set correctly, i would use DNA to check on it. Or, if you use H323 or SIP gateway, maybe the default codec is only G711 on the dial-peer but the region setting forces to be G729.

Please rate useful posts.

George

I did a test on my phone in the default device pool and the one that I created. On an internal call on the default it is L16K and on a PSTN call it's G.711u. And when I move my phone to the device pool that I created an internal call is G729 and I can't make a PSTn call.

For an internal IP-IP call the codec should not matter as long as both the IP phones are capable of g729 or g711 codec ( which most of the IP phones are ). For a PSTN call , make sure that you have a g711 region setting between the device pool on the IP phone and the gateway / trunk. Additionally, check that the codec defined on the dial-peer level on the gateway is g711, else you will need to add transcoders to the MRGL of the IP phones and gateway.

HTH

Manish