Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial peer

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all experts,

Out of all the technical queries, i am about to ask something really stupid. I dont know whom to ask so here i am. I hope a generous and friendly reply might help me clear this confusion.

If we are using dial-peers between cisco routers, that mean we are using H.323 signalling (by default) or SIP if we use the session protocol command. Why this fact is not mentioned in most cisco press books. I mean has anyone else also noticed this ? If i look at Cvoice student guide, this fact is no where to be seen. In my view, its very critical to know. Even if i see white papers on dial-peers, this is not discussed.

Most ppl refer to read SRND, but i am fairly newbie to this stuff, i dont know why, but when i figured this out, i am in a bit depression, seems like voice is not for me :-(, dont know why i am getting this feeling.

Any moral help would be appreciated

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The short answer is that's how we all get paid well: we make it nearly impossible to learn and create a labor shortage in the process.

In all seriousness, I hear you. Cisco voice is a complex topic to begin with and is exacerbated by documentation written by those who work with it on a daily basis. In many cases they skip basic narratives because it never occurs to them someone wouldn't know it. I doubt it's intentional but remember the where-the-h*ll-was-that-written reaction when learning it occasionally.

It's been a while since I have read the CVOICE material; however, if memory serves it's very light on IOS-based voice. That's true for most of the CCVP, now CCNP Voice track; it is heavily weighted toward CUCM. You may want to look into books such as the older Gateways and Gatekeepers or Cisco Communications Manager Express; both are oriented toward IOS. In my case I learned most of the technologies on CUCM first and then - understanding the principal concept - I figured out how to do that on IOS.

PS- Route/switch people make fun of voice documentation as well; you're not alone.

bosewinny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi jonn,

Your assumption is absolutely right. Dial-peer will use H.323 protocol and also this is not mentioned in most of the documents.

Anyway, dont get stuck up just because there is no enough documents. Just move ahead and learn more.

HTH

regards,

TT