cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Cisco Unified SIP Proxy8.0 and SME8.0

Sumit Bhargava
Level 1
Level 1

SIP proxy is used to manage centralised SIP routing and also avoids a single point of failure; eg; if one CUBE fails , CUSP can route through alternate CUBE

SME8.0 provides centralised SIP trunking inturn reducing the overall administration and maintenance cost.

Also,it can act as a single front end to connect large number of unified communication system.

Does it mean that SME simply acts as a single front end to connect large number of unified communication system and SIP Proxy manages the SIPcall routing ?

If a new Site/Location is to be included then its configuration(dial-peer) need to be configured in SME and the local voice gateway ?

Thanks in Advance

Sumit

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is product overlap in some use cases here. UCM-SME is technically a SIP B2BUA which is a bit different than a SIP Proxy. Personally, I would continue to use CUSP when building large SIP trunks to a provider as it can load balance across multiple CUBE routers. For everything internal (e.g. application sharing such as Unity Connection, MeetingPlace, or Inter-Company Media Engine,  inter-cluster routing, etc) I would use UCM-SME.

If a new Site/Location is to be included then its configuration(dial-peer) need to be configured in SME and the local voice gateway ?

I'm not sure there is enough detail about your design to answer this adequetly. If you add a new site to an individual UCM cluster and want to route calls for new DIDs at that site through an existing CUSP or UCM-SME you may need to add configuration to instruct either of them where to route the call. Another option worth investigating here is the Service Advertisement Framework. SAF is capable of advertising number ranges into a call routing protocol similar to EIGRP. Other call agents within your network can learn where to route the call based on the SAF routing table.

I am going to migrate a customer from CUPS to CUSP also looking at Verizon to provide a SIP Trunk to my 2 CUSP---->2-CUBES ----CVP or CUCM  Inbound and Out Bound

I also need to handle SIP REFER for internal to internal calls and internal to external transfers. Do you have some design examples or case studies to help with this