cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

digital Networking and PDL

jones_amy
Level 1
Level 1

config- 3 Unity 4.0 servers physically in different locations over a wan connection. All under one Tree-1 root guy and 2 child domains. Exchange 2000 with 3 sites. Ive read everything and come out confused. I thought that with Digital networking you could create PDL's and be able to put in for example people from the California Unity server and Kentuky unity server and NY Unity server as long as you meet the requirements for Digital networking and this was setup between the servers? I also would like to know. If you create a PDL in Unity with the Design that I have you send a message to theis PDL with 20 people in it from all 3 locations. How many copies of this message gets sent over the wan..say if 4 people in California are in this distribution list do 4 copies get sent or 1. Thanks for your help

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Public distribution lists are all shared across all Unity servers in the same network (AD global catalog). So if you create or import a DL in any Unity server in your system, eventually you'll see that DL show up in all Unity server's SAs in the network (replication can take a while). We don't have anything to do with the message delivery to that list, we just hand it off to Exchange/AD and it does the rest. As such all users in that DL regardless of which Unity they're associated with (or if, in fact, they aren't even a Unity subscriber) gets the message.

Exchange uses "single instance" messaging which means a message sent to a DL stores a physical copy on each mailstore that has one or more recipients in it - so if there are 500 users in a mailstore then one physical copy of the message is in the mailstore and all those user's inboxes get a "pointer" to the message. This is why using ExMerge to do a backup of your messages takes more space than the mailstore sizes since each user's PST file created by the backup includes a physical copy of each message which bloats the total size, of course.

Exchange also sends the messages between servers using single instance. You can verify this by turning on message tracking, sending a message to the DL and then reviewing the route the message took to get to each recipient. So if you send a message to a DL which has 400 users in a different RG you should only see a single message go across the RG connector.

Thanks,

Keith

We have 2 Unity 4.0(3) servers in the same domain using digital networking. The PDL can be seen from both servers, but to add a user to the PDL from one server (say Unity1) I have to add the user only from Unity1. Is there way to show users from all Unity servers under the PDL add users screen?

Also, on the same note, can a user create a private list containing users from both servers?

jones_amy
Level 1
Level 1

thank you very much for clearing it up for me

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: