cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Digital Networking Without Overlapping Numbers - Still need Dialing Domain?

stu.packett
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.1 Unified with Exchange off-box

I'm about to bring up a new Unity server for our other site. We do not have any overlapping directory numbers, but after speaking with an integrator, he said that we will still need dialing domains, thus resulting in our users having to dial a prefix when forwarding a voicemail to the other Unity server.

If I do not have any overlapping domains, shouldn't my users just dial the extension only when forwarding a voicemail to the other Unity server?

Also, is a dialing domain still necessary in my situation? Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

The Dialing Domain is needed to digitally network the two Unity servers. If you do not have overlapping DNs and your Unity servers are in the same dialing domain, subscribers on one Unity address messages by dialing the other Unity subscriber's extension. Better yet, since you are Unified messaging, have your users create the voice message in ViewMail for Outlook and use the GAL to address the message. Check out the Identified Subscriber Messaging section in the networking guide - it will allow your subscribers to Reply to voice messages from other Unity subscribers -http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a008022cd84.html#wp1347610

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: