Views
Helpful
Replies

Directory Handler Input Error Setting

chrisb
Level 1
Level 1

Win2000 UM 4.0(5) partner 2003AD Exch2003 SP2

during directory handler, if invalid entry occurs, caller is routed to opening greeting call handler. is there a setting to affect the behavior? i specifically want to control the redirection for each directory handler i create.

11 Replies 11

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

On the specific directory handler you create, go to the Caller Input settings. You will see the various behavior (call flow) that occurs when callers do a specific action or non-action. You can modify these anyway you want to meet your business requirements - too cool!

Ginger

The problem is that there is no option for when a caller makes an invalid selection. I'm aware of the other settings, but they do not address my situation.

Meant to state in the beginning of this thread... I enabled, through the Advanced Settings Tool, the option to 'Expose the error greeting for subscribers on the SA', but after making the change, restarting the server (not service), the option is not available. Anyone else had this issue?

Hi Chris -

OK, I'm with you. For example, there is a way to expose an error greeting for a subscriber or call handler for invalid entries, or you can even record a wav file to say "0 is an invalid key". On my production 4.0(5) system default directory handler, only the Exit route goes to the Opening Greeting call handler. You might try coding an alternate call handler for this and see if it works for errors also (I haven't tested this specifically).

Ginger

To be clear, there is no error exit action for name lookup handlers - the 4 exit points exposed are the only ones defined. The Exit action is taken if invalid input is entered I believe.

Error greetings only apply to subscribers and call handlers.

This is a very critical function, especially for multi-site deployments. Is there anything on the roadmap to address this? All feedback is greatly appreciated.

As noted, the exit action is taken on an error event so you can adjust this. I suppose you could make the case for going one place for an exit and another place for an error but I'm finding it hard to believe that's a critical distinction. It's been this way for 5+ years and I think you're the first to lodge a complaint about this in particular.

Or maybe I'm not grasping the specific call flow you have in mind - why don't you walk me through the conversation flow that is causing you problems.

sure. using a call handler for an AA. the part that is causing the issue is the ability to 'dial an extension at any time'. when the caller mis-dials the extension, he is thrown out to the opening greeting. the ideal result would be to send the caller back to the beginning of the AA. client does not want (or would not like) to give up the ability allowing the caller to enter an extension at any time feature.

ok - what does that have to do with a directory handler? You don't dial an extension at any time from within a directory handler - that applies to call handlers and subscribers (i.e. digit entry during greeting). Handlers and subscribers have error greeting actions which can dictate where you are sent when you misdial an extension.

From within a name lookup handler you are spelling names to find a user in the directory - there are no match events, no entry events and timeouts - there are no "Free dial" error events like that.

obviously, i was in a hurry and mis-wrote. forget about the name lookup handler. my last post explains the situation correctly.

during AA call handler, user inputs invalid extension. caller is routed to opening greeting.

I enabled, through the Advanced Settings Tool, the option to 'Expose the error greeting for subscribers on the SA', but after making the change, restarting the server (not service), the option is not available

you mentioned in the greeting action, an area exists where you can determine the action when an extension is misdialed, but i do not see it. can you elaborate?

Enabling that AST setting on my 4.0(5) system in the lab does have the "error" greeting show up in the SA so I'm not sure why you're not seeing it on call handlers and subscribers (your first posts talked about the directory handlers which threw us off).

You can also do this through BulkEdit perhaps easier. BulkEdit has an option called "loop back to self" for the error greeting for handlers and subscribers which is specifically designed for this - this way if the user fat-fingers an extension in a call handler or subscriber, rather than going back to the opening greeting call handler, it'll play an error message and restart the call handler's greeting they are currently on.

Fire up BulkEdit, select all your call handlers or subscribers (you'll have to run it twice for both), and then select the "Greetings" tab - select the "Error" tab for the error greeting and select the "Take Action" option in the after greeting action and select the "Loop back to Self" option in the drop down box.

If this isn't what you want, you can instead select another action such as going to a specific call handler other than opening greeting and such...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: