cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT and what does it do with the MS-SQL Database

dolah
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to create the procedure for the Bare Metal Restore for our Telco servers. And I'm wondering if DIRT backs-up the MS-SQL databases.

We have 4.0(4) SR1 and use DIRT 1.0 Build 122

Thanks

Debbie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DiRT restore requires that Unity (same version backed up) is up and running before it'll do a restore - as such the UnityDB and ReportDb databases must be present - the restore pulls some data out of the local DBs first before replacing them with the backed up tables (things like local server name, which GC/DCs we're connected to, switch configuration etc...). So no, it wont create it on the fly because the restore can't work without a running Unity server first. This is not just a backup and restore but also a migration type tool.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DiRT backs up the entire UnityDB database and, optionally, the ReportDb database.

Will it also create the DB when performing the repair? Or does it just re-populate the data in an created database?

DiRT restore requires that Unity (same version backed up) is up and running before it'll do a restore - as such the UnityDB and ReportDb databases must be present - the restore pulls some data out of the local DBs first before replacing them with the backed up tables (things like local server name, which GC/DCs we're connected to, switch configuration etc...). So no, it wont create it on the fly because the restore can't work without a running Unity server first. This is not just a backup and restore but also a migration type tool.

Thanks, that confirms the information that I found yesterday as well. As a back up and restoration tool, it works, but the process to restore is quite lengthy -- it is a complete rebuild of the server, from OS (plus patches) to Application. I'm guessing that is why Cisco recommends Veritas as the preferred back up tool.

Thanks again.