Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DIRT Clarification

Hello,

Quick DIRT Question just to make absolutely sure I set the expectations properly with the customer.

Customer has two unity servers in two locations - both in their OWN domain, NO UM. I want to use DIRT to backup one of the Unity servers, then re-isntall it so they are both in the same domain to take advantage of digital networking. If I use DIRT, will it be transparent? The last time I did this, I didn't think it kept the passwords of the users (phone), but the help file now says it does.

From what I've read, this looks like it'll be transparent - no data loss, nothing the client will notice after the work is completed. Would you agree?

Thanks!

John

• Unified Communications Applications
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: DIRT Clarification

The help file contains the list of what's backed up and what's not - but all user data is preserved (including passwords). In your situation, though, you have to worry a little about alias overlap - not sure if you're naming convention across domains is nice and tidy, but I've seen a few situations where folks move systems into existing domains and are suprised by the fact that DiRT binds to an existing account in their directory - review the help's section on how account resolution is done (directory ID, then RDN then Alias and if no match is found a user is created on the fly).

If your naming convention is consistent then you should be good to go...

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

The help file contains the list of what's backed up and what's not - but all user data is preserved (including passwords). In your situation, though, you have to worry a little about alias overlap - not sure if you're naming convention across domains is nice and tidy, but I've seen a few situations where folks move systems into existing domains and are suprised by the fact that DiRT binds to an existing account in their directory - review the help's section on how account resolution is done (directory ID, then RDN then Alias and if no match is found a user is created on the fly).

If your naming convention is consistent then you should be good to go...

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate your input. I don't think we'll have an issue with the overlapping names for the particular site.

Cheers,

john

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.