cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT failure to a network UNC

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.05 UM. I am running the DIRT tool to a UNC share which has read/write access for the unity account, using the two hop method for SQL. The backup always works if I manually do it to a local share, however with the scheduled task, it hangs and states in the event logs that it has failed. The DIRT logs appear to show it hangs also...I have attached two logs, one of a local backup and the other of the UNC backup. I have seen other posts of this same issue but no resolution yet. When I try to copy the local backup to the network drive, I got the windows error " Can not copy UnityDB, the path is too deep" . The UNC is only \\servername\cscobkup\unity

Have you seen this before?

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since the DiRT code is identical when you're running scheduled vs. running interactive (the only difference is it launches automatically and will not put dialogs up - all the backup code is the same), it's not an issue with DiRT's logic somehow being flawed for scheduled backups. The same lines of code are being executed, so if behavior changes when running scheduled vs. interactively, you need to look externally for a reason.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "local share" and you seem to contradict yourself here - you say it works when you do it manually but then you say you get an error when you try and manually copy the local backup to the network drive. When you run it manually I assume you are doing the same two hop backup that you have scheduled, right? I have no idea what you are seeing with a "path is too deep" error there - sounds like some other problem with the way your doing the manual copy.

Have you tried using a mapped drive instead of UNC out of curiosity.

Assuming you have the scheduled task setup to run under the same account you are testing with at the desktop and all other variables are the same, I'd look at something like CSA or a virus package shutting it down when it tries to write out to a remote location.

When I say local share, I mean backup to the unity server itself. If I open DIRT and do a backup myself, it works.(that is what I meant by manually). If I schedule a backup, it kicks off OK but does not complete. When I tried to copy the files from the local backup to the backup server share in windows explorer, that is when I got the message about the UnityDB path is too deep error. I understand that this should work because it is working interactively and didnt mean to suggest it was an issue with the tool itself. I was just wondering if you had heard of this before and might have some feedback as I have seen this error posted before on this site and this is the best place to get information on unity how to's/gotcha's etc....:>)

I will give it a try with the mapped drive although I never tried that because the tool pretty well tells you not to...as well I will shorten the UNC and give that a try...as well as look at CSA/virus stuff, which I hadnt thought of.

Thanks for the info.

The mapped drive was more of a problem before the "Two hop" option was added. SQL doesn't deal well with mapped drives and likes UNC paths. If you use the two hop method, SQL is backing up locally and is happy so the UNC thing isn't a big deal any more. Worth a try anyway.

Did you get this problem resolved?

Hi Scoe, my problem was solved using two stage method with DIRT last version. You were right !

Thanks you.

Julien

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: