cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT restoration

jjia
Level 2
Level 2

Want to migrate the existing standalone server to a primary server to support failover.

If required to have sratch re-installation of the existing unity server to support failover, can I use the existing server's DiRT information and restored to the new primary server? Assume the new unity version is the same as the existing one.

Thanks,

JJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

correct - no need to migrate the server to get from stand alone to failover - the config guide referenced in the link on the other thread should get you from A to B on this procedure.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. You setup failover _after_ you've done the restore and have Unity up and running so the fact that you intend to use it in a failover pair shouldn't come into play as far as DiRT is concerned.

so take a backup of your stand alone server, install the same version where you want it (i.e. in another domain or something I'm assuming) and then restore - test and make sure everything is working as you wish and then go through the failover configuration procedures.

Unless I'm not understanding what your question is?

Can you still do a restore to a primary server that is already configured for failover? I currently have a new server built out (in failover configuration) and have found myself in need of doing a DIRT restore from another site- do I need to break failover first before I do a restore or can I work around this? Thanks.

Sorry I did not clearly tell the environment.

The customer has already have one standalone unity server(VM) in production for a time. Right now they want to migrate/setup this server as a primary server for failover. The message store/AD are already off-box.

So from your answer, looks like I don't need re-install the existing unity server to support fail-over. Just make sure to upgrade MSDE to SQL2000 if MSDE installed, and follow the procedures on configuration failover?

Thanks,

JJ

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

correct - no need to migrate the server to get from stand alone to failover - the config guide referenced in the link on the other thread should get you from A to B on this procedure.

Can you still do a restore to a primary server that is already configured for failover? I currently have a new server built out (in failover configuration) and have found myself in need of doing a DIRT restore from another site- do I need to break failover first before I do a restore or can I work around this? Thanks.

Restoring onto a failover pair that's active is not supported - it might work since the entire DB is replaced during the restore, but it's not a scenario that QA tests. They do restores onto stand alone servers and then make them failovers after that - so I'd recommend going that route.

Regarding DiRT backup information I have one question for confirm:

The DiRT restoration information can be based on MSDE2000 directly from a standalone server or have to upgrade SQL2000 on that server first then run DiRT backup for failover restoration to a new server if scratch installation required?

Thanks,

JJ

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MSDE2000 vs. full SQL 2000 does not matter to DIRT on the backup or restore - it's not related to anything DiRT does as it uses standard SQLDMO library calls which are agnostic of the DB engine involved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: