Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT restore from 5.5 on to 2000 message store

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

I was reading documentation for DIRT and it said that i could restore using DIRT taken from a 5.5 message store onto a Windows2000 message store running the same unity version without a problem.

Has anyone done it? i just find it hard to believe that it would work or not casue problems as exchange 5.5 and exchange 2000 have totally different architecture.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Under the covers, it uses microsoft's Exmerge utility. You can find out about that on the microsoft site, but it works great.

Have you done it yourself? did you run into any issues? I am going to do the restore tomorrow with messages. Anything i should look out for.

I will surely grade this post.

Thanks

The things to look out for are:

- run dbwalker before doing the backup; make sure the system is in good shape first.

- do the backup

- make sure the system you're restoring to is in good shape (i.e. unity is running and you followed all the regular install instructions)

- do the restore

- run dbwalker again for good measure

Personally I haven't seen issues with it. It just works. The times I've seen customers run into issues are where they didn't have a good backup to begin with or if the newly installed machine doesn't have correct permissions or something.

thanks a ton for the response, please i would highly appreciate if you could answer one more question for me.

Everytime i install unity and create a special account for installation, i can never get to use that account for installation.

I keep getting errors like this account does not have permissions to run part of operation system, or can not run as a batch process, would you know what permission i might be missing.

Please correct me if i am wrong, anyone part of the domain admin group would be automatically denies access to the exchange mailstore?

Thanks

The installation account (which is the account you need to be logged in as when installing unity) does need to have those rights (which are user rights and are in addition to the domain rights you get when you add someone to the domain admin group). They are set by the permissions wizard, so if you log in as a domain admin and run the permissions wizard and make sure you specify the install account, it'll assign those rights (and the report at the end should tell you it did that). The permissions are explained here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/PW403+/PWHelpPermissionsSet_ENU.htm#_Toc40841606

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: