cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

does Viewmail is a mandatory?

elvinliang
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to upgrade a Unity from Voicemail only to Unified message system. can anybody help me about if the viewmail is mandatory for the end user to listen to their vm from PC, is a media player or something else will do the same thing instead? thanks

4 Replies 4

kc-ussugar
Level 1
Level 1

If VMO is not installed, the vmail appears as an ordinary .WAV attachment that can be played by any media player that can play .WAVs

thanks, that's really help me , so if customer doesnt mind to play it with other media player, we do not have to by VMO then.

Just a note here. The UM license for Unity comes with the option of installing the VMO client on desktops. VMO is not purchased seperately. It does not mean you _have_ to install VMO but you are not paying extra for it.

If you are not purchasing UM then you are not supposed to be getting voice mail in your desktop client. This breaks both Microsoft's and Cisco license agreements. If you are purchasing VM only then voice mail is not available via the desktop unless you license Unity Inbox - which is a web inbox for getting at your voice mail.

Just soz ya know...

Hi -

Just a few thoughts - if you are going to offer unified messaging to your clients:

- The ViewMail client includes support for G.711 and G.729 codecs. If you are using regions in CallManager for bandwidth limitation and using the G.729 codec, Media Player will not be able to play these files.

- One of the nice benefits of unified messaging is being able to address messages using the GAL from the ViewMail Outlook form, instead of using the phone to address messages to multiple users or having to import distribution lists into Unity.

- Users get a different icon, which is distinguishable from an email message in Outlook.

- Users can alternate between playback to phone or speakers from the Outlook form or ViewMail Options (which allows playback to phone without having to call into Unity conversation).

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: